Why is the price of new tonearms so high

Im wondering why the price of new tonearms are so high, around $12k to $15k when older very good arms can be bought at half or less?
perrew
Ah so, "Herman der Cherusker Koenig, who had led the Germanic tribes to defeat the Roman legions in the Teutoburg Forest in 9 AD"

Now, .... methinks those Latins*) had more-betta watch out :-)

I guess that thread will 'chill-out' on it's own, we shall see.

A.
*)The Latins were an Indo-European people of the Italic branch.... etc. just to make quite sure.
Hi Axel, well - this is one specific area where my knowledge is far deeper than in tonearm geometry.

Arminus - only his roman name survived (Herrman is a german name given to him in the hey-days of german nationalism romantics during the 19th century when he was "discovered" as the first hero of a yet to become Germany ...) was raised, trained and educated in Rome ( sended their as a hostage of noble cheruscian blood being one of the sons of a cheruscian chieftain - back then there were no kings) and in the Legion and held the status of a noble roman knight by the year 9 A.D. (the most possible for a non-roman born citizen of the roman empire at that time).
He had a formidable career in the roman legion and was kind of a war-hero in Rome.
In late autumn he lured 3 roman legions - the 17th, 18th and 19th all in full war status and counting more than 18 000 - into a military trap and crushed them.

Most likely not in the Teutoburger Wald, but close to Kalkriese (Osnabrück - where the protestant party signed the "westphalian peace" which ended the 30-year-war from 1618 to 1648 ....... the roman-chatholic party signed in Münster..... after 30 years they still weren't even able to afgree on one place and to sit at one table...)

All this took place when he was still a roman knight and leading some 600-800 horsemen as auxiliary troops of the romans.
For the romans he was a traitor.
For his countrymen he was THE hero.
He hated Rome all his life - even if spending most of his life as a roman.
He defeated 1/8th of the complete Roman military machine and slaughtered all but a few dozens - it was the worst defeat Rome suffered in 400 years and it ended all serious Roman efforts to occupy territories east of Rhine and North of the Main forever.

In recent historic research this single event is more and more regarded as one of the key turning points in roman history.

The 17th, 18th and 19th legion were never recruited again and the 3 eagles got lost for some 25 years.
But eventually all 3 eagles got back to Rome.

The Roman credited their roots to the fugitives of ancient Troja - not Latium.
Latium was the geographic area.
Given the cool and controlled will, the excellent technical engineering and the strict dicipline and clear structures in the roman empire and early society, we can today only speculate about the origins of the romans.
Even the ancient Greek came into europe from the plains of central asia - the Dorer.
Most of ancient southern europe's people were immigrants.
In the north it were the celts and the teutonic/germanic tribes to name but a few.
And you thought you will never again be confronted with history after high school.......

You know Axel - I like to get to the core of things and like to be precise.

The question is..... what does this tell us about the high prices of todays tonearms......
Cheers,
D.
question is..... what does this tell us about the high prices of todays tonearms......
Cheers,
D.
Nothing.
But we don't die stupid.
Audiogon is great.
Yes, some excellent discourse on the subject of the defenders of 'tonearms-of-the-later-days'.

The one tribe that was missing for my me, are the 'Allemannen'. Why the French actually call the Germans: Allemands.

If I recall correctly, they didn't even need an ex-Roman general to keep the Latins out. They whacked them badly in 259 AD.
These then known as Barbarians were much feared, as fierce and well organised opponents.

There is of course also lots more to it, as is to tonearms!

Now, Thorens, Brinkmann, Breuer and EMT, ALL come out of this former tribal area of the 'Allemannen'! :-)

Now most all of it is Euro-Zone today (some of Switzerland is also Allemannisch i.e. German speaking, -> Breuer) and might explain also: "Why the price of new tonearms is so high!

A.