Why is the price of new tonearms so high

Im wondering why the price of new tonearms are so high, around $12k to $15k when older very good arms can be bought at half or less?
perrew
question is..... what does this tell us about the high prices of todays tonearms......
Cheers,
D.
Nothing.
But we don't die stupid.
Audiogon is great.
Yes, some excellent discourse on the subject of the defenders of 'tonearms-of-the-later-days'.

The one tribe that was missing for my me, are the 'Allemannen'. Why the French actually call the Germans: Allemands.

If I recall correctly, they didn't even need an ex-Roman general to keep the Latins out. They whacked them badly in 259 AD.
These then known as Barbarians were much feared, as fierce and well organised opponents.

There is of course also lots more to it, as is to tonearms!

Now, Thorens, Brinkmann, Breuer and EMT, ALL come out of this former tribal area of the 'Allemannen'! :-)

Now most all of it is Euro-Zone today (some of Switzerland is also Allemannisch i.e. German speaking, -> Breuer) and might explain also: "Why the price of new tonearms is so high!

A.
Hi Axel, without getting into the subject again: the Allemannen were located in southern part of what is tpday Germany and around Lake Constance - and they still are. The other tribes in the northern part were the Sueben, Bruteker, Chatten, Angeln, Saxons, Friesen etc. to name but a few.
The french word for Germany has different roots and dates from medieval times.
Anyway - a nice wekend to all....
The history lesson is over - I promise.
Cheers,
D.
Dear Detornarm: +++++ " We'll see. " +++++

this was the only wise/mature statement that you made in your post in reference to our UNIVESAL tonearm design.

+++++ " I will address those points all the "others" haven't even thought about before. " +++++

I don't know of other tonearm designers but we know that we address all those points """ that others even thought before """. No you are not the only one, there are a lot of people that are good enough on what they do and even that are better than you, of course we are not the ones that are over you.

+++++ " That tonearm will not work with ALL cartridges, but it will work with the 20-30 best. " +++++

well our design will work with those 20-30 best ( even if that 20-30 best already have your design. ) and with any other cartridge out there but the FR series 7.

+++++ " It will not work and can't be mounted on all TT's - but it will work and can be mounted on the best. " +++++

well our UNIVESAL tonearm will work on that only the " best TT's " and in any other not " best " TT.

+++++ " A tonearm - even with adjustable moving mass and interchangeable armwands - can never suit all cartridges. " +++++

ony because you don't know/imagine how to do it does not means can't do it because in our design we already do it, could you imagine????

+++++ " while I am in my TT project I will demonstrate my concept about a pivot tonearm too. " ++++++

fortunatelly I don't have the necessity to demonstrate anything to justified my .......????? like you.

and like you say: we will see.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.