Nude Turntable Project

I could not fit the whole story in this Forum so have had to add it to my System Page.
I am attempting to hear if a 'naked' DD turntable can sound as good as Raul claims.
Please click the link below to read the story.
NUDE TT81
128x128halcro
I only suggest it would be interesting to listen to Halcro's TT101 with vs without the rubber isolators (or whatever they may be made of). Of course, Halcro has to do the dirty work, so it is easy for me to suggest it from 10,000 miles away.

And the reason I bring it up is that Garrard guys remove the stock rubber surround between the 301 chassis and its plinth, whatever the plinth material. They say that the insertion of the rubber between the chassis and the plinth impedes the capacity of the plinth to soak up motor vibrations, and indeed it makes a lot of sense that that would be so. In a DD, any tendency for servo action to cause relative motion of the chassis vs the platter must be countered, so the same principle applies.

Gosh, the TT101 is quite smooth and quiet. Just looking at it in operation, it HAS to sound great. Love those coreless motors.
Well one can dispute the difference between 'nacked' and 'nude' as any (?) semantic question..endless. To my mind however it is a cultural question. In some Arabic countries even a 'bare foot' is considerd as 'nudity' and if the owner of the foot is a women she will be called a hooker. Some other countries have something against the 'bare knees', etc. I am surprised to see that Assies have such a limited opinion of what an plinth in general should be and which TT's should be considered as 'nacked' and which as 'nude'. Regarding our own Aussie Lew already stated that the pretended 'nudity' should be dismised because there is a plinth according to him. I even see two of those steel rings (aka plinths)connected to each other with the biggest spiks I have ever seen in my life. But, as already mentioned, the question is a cultural one while nobody knows, nor can know, where all those Assies come from and with which culture behind them.
I think the word "hooker" comes from the USA. During the Civil War era, (1860s) there were prostitutes that followed the army of General Hooker, an officer of the Northern cause. Somehow, these ladies came to be known as hookers. I wonder whether General Hooker was ever aware of how his name lives on and why. Thus, if the Arabic countries use the word "hooker", I would be surprised and a little sad.

Halcro, I do not think you would hear any noise from the tt due to the lack OR the presence of an RFI shield. If the outer cage is a shield, it may as well be shielding the neighboring equipment from RFI emanating from the TT101 as vice-versa. RFI going in to the TT electronics from an external source might hypothetically affect function, but there would be no noise per se. I really doubt there is anything to worry about. By the way, based on my sample, dust gets in through the slits in the outer cage anyway; dust accumulation may not be any worse without it.

On the issue of rubber or similar isolators, John Nantais, a well known builder mainly of plinths for Lenco, also eschews the use of any such devices and for the reasons I gave above. On the other hand, he is building huge complex plinths specifically to enhance the performance of an idler, which has problems different to those of a DD table. And your "plinth" is minimalist and for a DD that has especially low amounts of motor energy that needs to be dissipated.

The EMT927 has a huge motor, a heavy platter with a high moment of inertia, and a built-in suspension. How does that work? Is the suspension built so as to resist twisting in the horizontal plane?
Lew, I have no idea if your story is "urban legend" or the real thing, but it was entertaining.

Many years ago I helped a friend and his wife move to Connecticut for grad school at UConn. Driving through Willimantic I was amused to find the Hotel Hooker in the middle of their old downtown. From Wikipedia: "In addition, The Hotel Hooker, once infested with drugs and prostitutes, has been repurposed as a transitional living facility called the Seth Chauncy Hotel."

Aptly named it would seem.
Nice job Halcro. How tight are the threads on those spikes? My experience thinks you need a jam nut and they aren't tight.

A couple of pics first implementation of soon to joining the TT club.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h69/ecir38/Arm%20Pod/TT71/2.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h69/ecir38/Arm%20Pod/TT71/1.jpg