A Copernican View of the Turntable System

Once again this site rejects my long posting so I need to post it via this link to my 'Systems' page
HERE
128x128halcro
Halcro,

I just came across this thread and thought I'd chip in my penny's worth. I've recently been testing my Technics SP10 Mk2 with and without plinth. I would definitely say that "without" plinth is the way to go. The music almost seems to be released with the loss of the plinth and staging and timbre are enhanced in a way that just sounds more natural/real (almost like, 'free your TT/ free the music'). Better still, you improve the sound while saving money: that can't be bad.

I simply sat it on some Audio Technica AT616 precision pneumatic footers and attached an ash armboard. I would strongly recommend you give it a try. I was a sceptic but hearing is believing.

Halcro,

Sorry, I was responding to your relevant posting on your Systems page and now see that you are already trying this and that we agree. I suppose the removal of any potential vibration and the minimalist approach to analogue might seem obvious.

Congrats
Dear Dgob: Nice to see that you too take that " flag " and that like it.

The critical point here IMHO is that you decided to test it and the good thing to you is that the rewards you received on change was way worth to made it with almost no $$$/effort.

Well these kind of facts is IMHO a good forward step to improve quality permormance level on those TT and many others.

One more time where " less is more ".

Btw, all of you owners with the plinthed alternative could try ( with out almost no effort or serious modifications in your analog rig other than a change in VTA/SRA/Azymuth. ) my advise to Lewm for use three small tiptoes ( metal or delrin. ) atop the TT plinth and the TT ( it self through the outer metal chassis/frame. ) over those three tiptoes where now that plinth mainly will function as an arm board.

Please try it, you don't lose nothing!! and the experience could give you more than only " fun ".

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
Dgob, I went to your "system" to take a look at the photo of the AT feet. I see you have 3 different kinds of AT feet. Which are you using under your SP10? I am guessing it is the largest set, at the rear of the photo. Those smallest AT feet in the foreground - I used to have a set myself. I have no idea where those disappeared to, or when they disappeared.

Off-topic: How do you wire up your DD12s with respect to the Talon Hawks? Do you use a hi-pass filter on the amp that drives the Hawks? Thx.
Dgob,
Welcome to the 'Nude' club.
You at least did the comparison.
It would be helpful for others here if you could perhaps describe the plinth that you 'abandoned'?

Cheers
Henry