A Copernican View of the Turntable System

Once again this site rejects my long posting so I need to post it via this link to my 'Systems' page
HERE
128x128halcro
Well Chris......what can I say?
This sounds almost contradictory to the 'Copernican' precept whilst at the same time supporting it?......if you follow me?
I'm trying to find the right theoretical position for this revelation?
Give me time?
Henry
I believe Henry your first post is still very relevant – I added 6 words at the end based on this experiment so far.

“The tonearm is now the centre of this ‘Turntable System’ and is the most important element. It must be rigidly held on a base which is perfectly flat, non-magnetic and relatively immune to structure-borne and air-borne feedback. This base must ideally have no contact with mechanical or electrical interference and must under no circumstances, move or deflect in any manner” (once the stylus hits the groove).

Juniors

Everything is still very hard and rigid between the platform and the armpod with the Jrs.

http://cgim.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/vs.pl?vopin&zz1301604425&viewitem&o3&1303046315#item

The fact the armpod moves “prior to” the stylus touching the groove is irrelevant. The fact it moves no more once set down is VERY relevant. I say this because if it is moving that big 12 inch arm would have distortion, would skip and the stylus would be toast.

My VPI arm does this exact same movement prior to touching the stylus. Who here has a VPI that can share their thoughts on it?

Obviously weight on the Jr. bearing is critical. My first steel armpod block of steel which I am testing with is 18.9 lbs.

What I tried was very early preliminary testing ONLY with a cheap old cartridge. It proved TO ME per Geoch's earlier post that this concept functions - no more - YET. I picked up an MM based on Rauls suggestion and listened to it last night on my ET with the brass armpod to get a feel for it. It’s a decent cartridge – I will mount it on the VPI and continue testing using the Jrs. with it and report back.

You have to have the light touch with this when interacting with arm 1) lowering the stylus 2) lifting at the end. DONT try this out when you have had a few glasses of your favourite beverage :)

Can someone else come on here and describe in their own words "the action" (shaking and squirming) of the VPI JMW arm prior to setting the stylus down in the groove ? I say this again because it is the same action the armpod does prior to the stylus touching the groove. It would help others to visualize what is happening.

Cheers Chris
I wish I had Dertonarm's Uni-Protractor - setting up a pivot arm is so much more work than a linear tracking arm !
Henry I just emailed you and some of the others here a short 59 sec video of the Symposium Jr. setup that i did with the video camera on my phone. I hope u get it - it is 16 meg. I will need to do a shorter one. If anyone would like more than a picture just email me. I am not putting it on youtube - yet.

I got the new cartridge running on the VPI arm with the Jrs.

Some more impressions.

Unless your cue lever is remote controlled :) you need to have a smooth and very fast one to lower and raise the stylus. As little interaction touching the arm pod is preferred. As Geoch mentioned in an earlier post lubrication of the lever - definitely - ensure it is working properly.

Initial setup sounds really nice probably set up about 80% - room for improvement - regarding the sound - in my system the VPI 12" arm is not as fast as the ET arm but still nice in its own way.

Cheers Chris