Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
Hiho,
Those spikes look suspiciously like Chris'?
Did you take up his generous offer?
I think they are a fine solution.
Wouldn't work on the Victors though, as the aluminium circular extrusion is multi-faceted. It does not have a flat surface or space to enable the legs to sit in a stable manner.

Halcro, I was just browsing around in the Canuck Audio Mart member gallery and found these pictures that reminded me of your system.

There's even a YouTube video that he says "showing Symposium Rollerblock Jrs supporting an Isolated Turntable Armpod (Steel) that weighs 18.9 lbs. The idea using the Jrs. is from an audiophile friend in Europe."

_____
Hi Hiho – try to say that 10 times really fast.
There's even a YouTube video that he says "showing Symposium Rollerblock Jrs supporting an Isolated Turntable Armpod (Steel) that weighs 18.9 lbs. The idea using the Jrs. is from an audiophile friend in Europe."

My audiophile friend in Europe

Well 1000 + views now and not one comment.

I guess people don’t know what to make of it? It is a small hobby?

I thought I would see maybe a few comments like.

Cool ! (or)

What the hell is that supposed to be ! (or)

Tonearms belong on plinths you big dummy !

But no comments at all - go figure.

Well read my review – it works “really well” but you need to be "really" brave too.

Warning - Alcohol makes u brave but u lose dexterity. Requires a smooth light touch.

Sorry - its been a long week – is it Friday yet ?

Henry someone took me up on the offer.

Cheers

Hi Chris, Hi Chris, Hi Chris, Hi Chris, Hi Chris, Hi Chris,Hi Chris, Hi Chris, Hi Chris, Hi Chris! (Now, that was easy.)

I really like your spiked SP10. I think that makes a lot more sense to me than just letting the bottom cover sitting on footers. Some may called it plinthless but I consider the SP10 chassis as a metal plinth (the real RAW turntable is the DD motor and platter) and having it rigidly spiked to the platform makes a lot of sense to me. Hey, at least it sounds good to you. I am familiar with the bottom cover of the kind used on the TT81 or TT101 as all my TT71 from QL-7 and QL-A7 (which are all sold) use the same kind of bottom cover so I am really curious about the sound when the TT101 is rigidly spiked to the platform. I think Halcro needs an adaptor ring to do that experiment. I look forward to sonic report in the future.

Let me comment on your Youtube video here: Cool!

_______