Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
....there must be an adjustment to accommodate the precise weight/rotational mass of the platter + mat, to make the STOP button work exactly right.
P.22 of the TT-10 Service Manual.....
D. Quick stop adjustment:-
* With the turntable mounting two 30 cm LP records rotating at 33 1/3 rpm, depress the stop button, then adjust VR647 until the turntable stops without reverse movement.
* Set the turntable to 45 rpm and mount a 30 cm LP record (approx. 200 gm) then adjust in the same manner using VR646.
* Confirm that the turntable without a record and running at 33 1/3 or 45 rpm is stopped by the quick stop after slight movement forward.
So by using any weight of mat desired....one may adjust the Quick Stop mechanism by way of the two variable resistors as Banquo mentioned earlier.
This Quick Stop mechanism is independent of the platter speed and servo controls which can be easily verified by checking the speed consistency and accuracy with a variety of mats using the Timeline.....
Halcro, I think the important point you made by quoting the manual is that my concerns about a heavy mat upsetting the servo are unfounded, up to a point, I am sure. There will be some weight of mat that screws things up, but you can probably get away with heavier than OEM ones. Thanks.
Just to add a bit of info to the reversal discussion. My platter (actually two layers: the bottom is a Merrell lead sheet, spray adhesive attached to a thick Acromat-by-Funk hard foam mat) plus the lightest TTWeights perimeter ring and the Michell delrin center press all add up to 3 pounds 1.5 ounces. This is just a bit more than three times the original mat which weighs in at 15.6 ounces.

Needless to say, my platter doesn't reverse on stop, nor does it stop. But I see no deterioration from using a substantial bit of weight on top. I have used the combo for quite some time.
I've been knocking around the idea of getting a ceramic mat for the victor. I was concerned about its weight: 3lbs. Your report, Aigenga, is helpful to me; so, thanks.

How do you find the perimeter ring? Are there any negative effects?
I wonder how a perimeter ring could fit. The lip of the platter does not rise much above the surround. It looks cool that way but not very accommodating for a perimeter ring weight. Aigenga, Can you post a photo? Thanks.

I pretty near finished up my mods to the QL10 plinth last night. So, at last, I may actually hear a TT101 as Victor intended it, with a Victor UA 9-inch tonearm in the QL10 plinth. I will try to post a photo of the whole enchilada.

I also made, or had a machinist make, two extra alu armboards probably to be used for FR64S, Grace G714 (the wood version), or Dynavector DV501.