Upgrading cartridge used or new?

I am in process to upgrade my analog setup starting from replacing my DV 10x5 with an step up one from DV or other make.
My TT rega P5.

On my journey I had hear mixed things about buying used, a much better cartridge or just pay same amount for a brand new lower end one.

Some dealers said you never know the history of a used cartridge, so you must believe the always magic # from the seller of 100 hours on it, plus vinyls condition that was expose to, etc.

While the new even if lower end is a solid secure step.

I would like to hear your exp about buying cartridges on used market.

As always must appreciate all your time to share your comments.

Regards.
128x128mountainsong
I've bought many used carties from A'gon members who had solid member feedback. Never had a problem. My favorite is the Sound Smith VPI Zephyr which I bought used from a member. Ran it out twice and Peter Ledermann re-tipped it -- twice. Each time it came back good as new.

Because I'm bored, I'll probably be looking for a new carty in the next couple of months. I have no intention of paying a full retail small fortune on a new carty for all the reasons expressed above by my fellow adventure takers.

Also, I have two other reasons for not paying a lot for a carty. One - carties wear out. Period! One member said he ran his carty out for 3000+ hours. The neighborhood dogs must have been howling.

Peter Ledermann told me that a carty should be checked on a periodic basis. I forget how frequently. IMO and E, not much longer than 1500 hours. Peter told me the last time he re-tipped my Zephyr that I had an AS problem because the stylus was excessively worn on one side.

But the real issue with this point is that if you divide the cost of a carty by the number of hours you can reasonably expect to use it, you'll see how much your vinyl habit costs on an hourly basis. It adds up.

Two -- carties break. A couple of years ago I bought a used Clearaudio Maestro for about $500, which was 50% of the then retail price. The carty was fine. One day I came down to play some vinyl and the carty slid across the record. The whole cantilever went AWOL. Never found it. The Maestro now retails for $1200. I almost passed out when I lost $500. If my loss was $1200, I'd have a conniption. Fortunately, I sold it AS IS to a member on spec. He paid me what he thought it was worth.

BTW, one member who I respect a lot owns a Benz LPS. That sucka costs $5000!! Take that number and divide it by 2000 hours. And what if one day, his Benz LPS cantilever elopes with my Maestro cantilever. Uuuhhmm.

So I vote, buy used to tap down the cost of the carty. And buy used only from members with excellant feedback. And just be prepared for the possibility that your cantilever may go AWOL and then have a chuckle that at least you didn't pay retail.
01-13-13: Swampwalker
'Middle ground- buy used cart from dealer who has excellent feedback.'
That was one criteria I had when I bought a Dyna 17D3 recently..It`s not panning out well at all.

01-13-13: Acman3
'....I would not buy any cartridge, new or used, without being able to return it if defective.'
In my case the seller (DEALER) claims that the cartridge was PERFECT when it was sent out so therefore I must have damaged it and he considers the sale FINAL.

01-13-13: Thommas
An honest seller, would reimburse you, if not satisfied.
Hmmm define HONEST ! I`ve sent an email out to him to see if he`ll work with me on making it right, even offering to apply the purchase toward another used cartridge...No response as of yet.

I have bought used cartridges in the past too as have others here and up until this deal have been very satisfied.
This purchase btw was from a respected high profile member/DEALER of this site and others like it.
Never ever expected this..caught me by surprise I`ll say that much.
This is my contribution to a thread that like I said couldn`t have come at a better time.

And...I wish Audiogon would allow pics..unless I`m overlooking something here.
But if interested, have a peek at the pics over on AA..might just save you some grief in the future !

Steve
Steve- Bummer. Have you thought about posting a dispute, which would reveal the name of the other party to the public?
Steve I started this thread with no idea it will turn in such debate about cartridge purchasing strategies and experiences.
You have made lots of contribution,
Thanks
Mountainsong, just like every other question in this hobby, or even in life, you will never get a clear cut consensus answer. Too many varied experiences. It's a gamble, like with most things in life, the question is, is it worth the risk to you? Others can say whether or not the risk is worthwhile to them, but only you can determine if the risk is worthwhile to you.

Buying used is a higher risk, higher reward alternative to buying new. As with any investment, some will love the high risk, high reward option, while others will not. It all comes down to one question: Do you feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

LOL! Sorry for channeling my inner Clint Eastwood.

Hey, buying is a risk. I just bought some used speaker cables that arrived DOA. I've also had new gear have problems too, though usually there is a warranty with new. That's life in the big city.