Cable auditions - Hard Work?

Does anyone find it to be "hard work" to audition cables? I find that I have to be 'fresh' before I can begin to listen to cables. After I begin, I can only listen, with the intensity needed, for a period of about an hour.

As I do A/B comparisons, it sometimes seems, my impressions change as I listen. Sometimes the differences are so small or subtle, that I question if I'm hearing a difference at all. Have I lost it?

How do you folks do your cable auditions? I'd really like to know.

Thanks
paul
oldpet
Blindjim
Thanks for your well thought out answer. It certainly gives alot of food for thought.

Jayctoy
Please share your new found wisdom.

I was going to look at the Oritek X-2. But, $450 for 2 feet? Plus - A 20% restocking fee? $90 for someone to put a 2 foot pair of wires back on a shelf? YIKES!!!!!!!!! Are they that good?
The cable business is mostly a scam.
One website did a double blind test consisting of 10 so called "audiophiles" testing really expensive cryo treated power cords against a cheap power cable of the Home Depot variety.
None of the audiophiles could tell the difference
between either set of cables.

I am not saying there is no difference.. there may be one, but is not something our human ears can detect.

Some websites have banned any discussion pertaining double blind testing in their forums, because they know once people realize they have been scammed by cable companies and other silly hi-fi gadgets, the gadget and cable sponsors will take their money and advertise somewhere else.

Spend your money somewhere else...

I dare anyone claiming that you can positively tell the difference between ICs, to test any of their expensive ICs against my home made Belden coax ICs on a set of blind tests, and consistently tell the difference between them.
You are welcome to bring your own music if you wish.. I am located in Northern NJ, and have BAT, Plinius, Monarchy audio, Maggies, Musical Fidelity and custom made equipment.
Well, I supposedly got suckered into buying a 300 dollar multi-tap with RF nodules some time ago after buying some new components and after having plugged the stock power cords into an el-cheapo multi-tap worth about 5-10 bucks. I was also curious if better quality cords make a difference sonically. What was my discovery? They most certainly do. That one 300 buck multi-tap effectively lifted the music to a far greater presence than it had before. This wasn't wishful thinking. I was very prepared to be disappointed. My ears, however, were not.

Cables make a huge difference. Period.