how can a line cord affect frequency response ?

i have personally auditioned over 10 different manufacturer's line cords. i hear differences. i don;'t understand how a line cord can affect treble response or bass response.

can someone provide an explanation ?
mrtennis
Dpac996, I'd love to contribute to the objectivist explanations of the PC phenomenon. My only problem is that. . . I am just not at all qualified to do so, except for spotting the occasional attempts to pseudo-science, which, fortunately, I have not detected yet in this thread.
my apologies to all for criticizing others for taking audio matters too seriously, when i am guilty of this myself.

i will try to lighten up and limit the sophistry, but not completely.

trying not to be pedantic, maybe i am, if measurements are taken, and observations are confirmed, one can justifiably have confidence that an event that took place in the past, will take place again. but such confidence is not certainty. without certainty it is not knowledge. most decisions are made based upon confidence of consistency of events.

i recently spoke to a cable designer and he asserts that the metal, dielectric, dampening material, geometry, shielding or the lack thereof, connectors and the connection--solder or other, all affect the performance of a line cord.

i guess there is no definitive answer as to this question.
i recently spoke to a cable designer and he asserts that the metal, dielectric, dampening material, geometry, shielding or the lack thereof, connectors and the connection--solder or other, all affect the performance of a line cord.

i guess there is no definitive answer as to this question.
Mrtennis (Threads | Answers)
IMO, the answer from the cable designer seems to address the question in a definitve manner.

Mrtennis, please take this next observation in the good humored spirit in which it is intended. Now knowing your profession, it's clear to me why the majority of your threads begin with a question, and end with an answer from you. It's because your thread methodology is entirely in keeping with the technique of a trial attorney, which is to only pose a question if the answer is known.

Gotcha!

:)
Metro04: I was basing my comments on basic power supply engineering. I'll start a new thread on the bandwidth requirements of line cords shortly.

Dpac996: Actually, what you want to use in that experiment is not a differntial probe, but a current probe. This is a device you can clamp on the wire and monitor the current flow through the wire. Tektronix makes several of these types of probes; the basic one with a DC to 50 MHz bandwidth is fine. I plan on doing this in the lab this week, just to see the what the bandwidth is of some cheap basic line cords versus the more expensive ones. I'll post the results in a new thread.

Mrtennis and Tvad: Gee, a cable designer said it makes a difference, so therefore it does. But, he gives no explanation for the reason, no facts, no information based on his own experience in the lab, no experimental data, nothing other than his own opinion, which is what he uses to sell cable at 500 to 2000% markup. If he could sell lots of cable based on opinion, think what hde could do with solid data and facts! What is wrong with this picture? As I have stated numerous times in the past, I am happy to be proven wrong on my opinions, but please, someone show me something other than profitable based opinion that I am wrong.

To all, a general note: Please keep in mind that power supply performance is always improved by adding large inductors in series with the capacitor filters, not by removing inductance. So simply stating that "adding inductance is bad" is wrong. Yes, it can be bad, depending upon where you put it, but let's assume the power supply engineer knows what s/he is doing. After all, you must have some faith in their skills, as you bought their amplifier! Other than cost, and they are expensive, an inductive input L or capacitive input Pi filter, are impossible to beat for power supply filters.