NOS Western Electric wire used for power cables??

I see that some people are starting to use this wire for speaker cables and ac power cables. Is anyone here using this wire? How does it compare to the cables on the market today? THANK YOU
hifisoundguy

Fuzzbuttl7

If an electrical item SHORTS OUT it will NEVER cause a fire; it will simply flip a circuit breaker or blow out a fuse. That is why electrical codes insist on these safety device in all home and commercial circuits.

That's a rather dangerous and ill-informed assumption.

It assumes that all shorts are dead shorts and of sufficiently low resistance to so as to allow enough fault current to flow to quickly trip the breaker or blow the fuse.

Such is not always the case and when it is not the case, a high resistance short can have insufficient current to trip the breaker or blow the fuse while allowing enough current to flow through the resistance to cause enough heat to start a fire.

What concerns me is that both on your website and your eBay ads, all you talk about is the wire. Unless I'm missing something, I see no mention whatsoever as to what INSULATES the wire.

Is it cloth? Rubber? Some sort of thermoplastic?

If it's cloth, I wouldn't recommend anyone use them for power cords.
I asked a guy I know regarding the WE wire and he told me the following:

"Cnly gets hot when you have undersized it..westerns power cable has always been rubber under the cloth and not silk, from 14 gauge and up"

No sure if theis makes anyone feel better.
Well, at least the issues have been discussed.Feel free to do whatever you think best. We all can make better informed decisions here. Pro or con, doesn't matter, word is out.
Thanks, And look at all the free advertising!
Lizzie, you've certainly done your share with the Pangea line. (o:

"And look at all the free advertising!"
LOL.. you gotta understand.. i have a crush on Pangea Dude. "Love at first (and only) sight" Besides the cheap but decent wires. (it's that bow tie, sigh.)