Best single-malt Scotch...

I have to give credit to Redwiki for the inspiration to start this thread. Yes, certain malts better compliment certain music or certain moods. Of the fifteen or so different malts in my cabinet right now, my favorites are: Aberlour "Antique", similar to the popular Macallan, but not as syrupy; a bit drier, light hearted and less complicated; great with Mozart and Brubeck. Mortlach "Limited Edition" cask strength. Powerful, smoky, mysterious. Great with Bartok, Berg and late 'Trane. Loch Morar 25 yr old. Incredibly complex and intense, with a hint of honey and flowers. Great with Poulenc, Stravinsky and Bill Evans. Any other single-malt aficionados out there?
frogman
Two things, good whisky in a good cask will usually age well for a long time while mediocre whisky in a mediocre cask will have mediocre to terrible results.

Either way, at some point in time the whisky will leach out too many tannins and other nasties from the oak and can ruin even an excellent whisky. Still 40-50-60 year old and older whiskys exist that remain more than drinkable but I believe these are exceptions rather than the rule. Most would be over the hill at some point before those kind of ages.

One of the skills of the distillery is to decide when the whisky is "ready".

Somewhere I read an article whose argument contended that cask management contributes 70% to the final quality of a whisky. I don't know enough on the subject to argue or agree but it is obviously critical to the end product.
If you are going to Scotland, the best distillery tour, not necessarily best whisky, is at Aberlour.

A word of warning to drivers, it ends with 6 small whisky samples, including 2 cask strength. I went 2 years ago and had to walk about breathing in lungfuls of fresh air for 2 hours, before I felt it was safe to drive.
Got my bottle of *PC10! It's been a tough search, only 6000 bottles worldwide. I've heard there's some on a boat making its way to our shores though. Nice'n'peaty, 40ppm phenols.
Has anyone here tasted Octomore around 160ppm also from the Laddie?

*Port Charlotte 10 YO cask strength from Bruichladdich.
Happy New Year Scotch fans! Wanted to share a new single malt Scotch experience. For Christmas, brother-in-law gave me a bottle of 30 yr old Glenfarclas; a very interesting malt. A generous and thoughtful gift, particularly since he is not a Scotch fan himself, but made the effort to find out that I am a fan of the Speyside malts. Being a Speyside malt, the similarities to Macallan are not subtle; with very important differences.

My initial reaction was that I had found the perfect malt for me. It was rich, sophisticated, smooth, with nice sherry overtones, and not as sweet as Macallan (18 yr old) which is about the only criticism that I have of that malt. Sometimes, depending on my mood, I wish the Macallan were just a tad drier. The Glenfarclas also had just a touch more peat (perfect!) than the Macallan and an INCREDIBLY long finish. But, and it is a big but, whereas the Macallan's subtle sweetness is perfectly integrated, the Glenfarclas reveals a long lingering sweetness in the finish only; in a way that leaves nothing but sweetness towards the end of the finish, devoid of it's other character. I find it disappointing. A very good malt to be sure; but I find, once again, that the 18 yr old Macallan is a tough one to beat if that is the style of malt that one likes.

Best to all.