Have you "lied" to yourself?

It is time for the utmost honesty. How many of you have made a fairly costly upgrade/purchase and weren't able to hear any difference (even if you struggled, it wasn't very obvious), but convinced yourself the difference was there (to avoid feeling embarrassed/taken, or facing that you don't have "golden ears")?

There's no need to mention the brand/manufacturer, but do mention the type of component as it would be interesting to see whether this type of thing happens more often with preamps, amps, cables, or sources (I doubt it ever happens with speakers).

I'll start. I'm guilty of spending about $600 upgrading speaker my cables and couldn't hear much of a difference.
128x128felthove
If you can not try before you buy.Don't buy.
if you buy before you try Don't cry.
Use your ears man.Listen to people,try out for yourself.Then you decide.
The enjoyments of stereo equiptments stuff are learning from people, searching,trying ,listenning for improvent of your system with less money.Fun Fun Fun ...Lot of fun...:)
Good luck,
Felthove - two problems with getting many responses to your main question. First, a lot of the people on this site utilize the buy-used approach to trying things out, knowing that they can get out relatively cheaply if it doesn't work out. Hence, they don't have the financial incentive to "lie" to themselves. Second, if somebody does search for justification of an expensive, under-performing purchase, it may still be in progress.

I knowingly fall into the first category - can't tell you on the second. So far I've experimented a great deal, but rejected everything that cost any significant amount of money that didn't make a fairly large quality improvement. Since I've bought a lot of the equipment used, I just sell what didn't make a big enough difference to justify the cost and don't think twice about it.

Interesting question, though. I think your wine analogy shows that there are many areas where this question fits. I bought a floor-model Proton television set one time at a deep discount compared to it's list price, but not compared to a nice Toshiba or something. The picture struck me as great at the shop. Over the first month, I realized the picture was pretty horrible most of the time, but I had spent money impulsively and could have spent less and gotten more. It took me quite a while to admit to myself that it was a waste, get rid of it and get something decent. Such is life. -Kirk

yes, i've *upgraded*, & heard no improvements. mostly w/interconnects. but, as i have yet to drop really big money on 'em, i really am not too upset about it. regarding component upgrades, as i usually buy used or close-out, no need to lie here, either - yust sell it & move on. at the end of last year, it took me 4 preamps to finally settle on the right one. sold the 1st three for yust about what i paid for 'em...

doug s.

OK, i had some NEAR M10 speakers that disappointed. I had been impressed by the 50s and expected better. Paid little and sold them even cheaper. I experienced little discomfort and was back on my feet in no time.
Felthove; as you've already discovered, you've asked a tricky question, and maybe expected predictable responses to it that you're not getting? I'm not trying to be confrontational here either-- just want to present my observations re your thread.

But the question still brings forth some valuable info, ie that audiophiles are intelligent and do not BS themselves. Almost all have admitted to making purchase mistakes, but they do something about it rather than lie to themselves and say it's "great". I have made purchases, even some large ones, where I have been disappointed in the music quality, but I don't keep the product, lie to myself and say it's good when it's not-- just because it cost a lot.

As others have said above, I try something and if it doesn't work out, I sell it and move on, afterall, that's what searching for the "ultimate" in recorded music quality/character (upgrading) is all about, no?. Cheers. Craig