where do you cross over your ht setup

hello. i am just wondering where everybody else crosses over there ht system at. thx says 80hz with speakers set to small. some speaker co. say set front mains at 60hz the rest set at 80hz set to small. i even read one speaker co. in a reveiw say 20-30hz and set speakers to large. if you are driving a full range speaker system with a stand alone powered sub what do you fellow audiogoners find best. also when using a spl meter do you set up your system at 75? thanks.
theaterhome
Forget all the THX/Dolby mumbo jumbo right now?
Crossing over at all those levels would be a pain in the...
Tim
If you need to EQ a single sub because of room response or poor speaker selection and placement then go for it. You totally destroy the DD or DTS mix in the process.

I can understand crossing over surrounds at 80 - 120 if the surrounds aren't designed for near or on wall operation. In that case the bloated bass could be a problem. I guess the same applies with poor placement and selection for mains. If you cant let the speakers breath like they need to for linear response then cut em off!

Flemke, setting the crossover settings in a HT processor is hard for you? Sorry to hear that. The interface on my processor is quite simple.

I will not submit to specs based on compression horns surrounding a 200 seat cinema where loudness and shock value are the primary criteria. 80 - 120 hz works for cheap cinema speakers. 80 - 120 hz works for the small HT in a box type systems. It's nothing more than an "easy way out" if placement options are limited, or if one doesnt wish to take the time to properly select and setup speakers for the room.

My HT mains are also my 2ch. mains. They are flat to 30hz (IRR) and tail down 9db at 20hz. Why on earth would I want to cut them off at 80hz??? This is crazy THX cinema mumbo jumbo. Hook line and sinker..
Like I said before.ALL rooms have modes.If you don't do something about them with some type of parametric in the bass all you hear is the mode because it is 15-20db higher than the rest of the signal.If you choose to ignore this basic principle than fine, go ahead and listen to 32hz 15db higher than the rest of the movie sound track.Why are there so many blackboxes coming out to cure such problems.All i'm saying is to sum the bass to a capable sub @80hz you eleminate the problematic room mode effect by only EQing one sub.The empierical thinking that eq's are ruining your sound is as old fashion as two ch. stereo.Holding on to old idea's due to a lack of education is purely that.In the perfect world fullrange surround with a dedicated LFE sub is what would be somewhat the holy grail.This experiment has been done by better than you and I with more problems than they could count.Go back to your two ch. dinosour and 1950's EQ fear and let people learn and enjoy the knowledge they learn here.I love this forum!
You're kidding right? I have no problems with EQ's. Not sure where you gathered that from. I'm also not sure what "old ideas" you think I'm holding on to.

If you can get linear response to 20hz with your mains why cut them off at 80hz? If you can get linear response to 35hz with your surrounds why cut them off at 80hz? Can you answer this in any reasonable way?
Vedric...Take off the grill and look at what your woofer is doing while it reproduces 20 Hz (or even 30 Hz). Do you want that going on while it is trying to reproduce the critical 80-800 Hz range? Same goes for the power amp.