Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
I got your drift Jafox. Congrats on finding the tube that brings the best out of the Big Six in your system! If the National Unions can improve Matt's system like it did yours, then those other DACs have an uphill battle ahead of them.

Matt - if one of the other DACs rises above the Lamp, let me know and I will send you the NU's to try out. Jafox might be on to something here...

I do agree that the Lamp DACs aren't quite as extended and bass strong as some SS DACs, for me it's all about getting connected to the music emotionally and the Lamp DACs so that with aplomb...
Matt, so bummed that you won't be doing the Ayre and the Aesthetix in this grouping. Fun keeping up though. Will you be taking pics and sharing those on Twitter? loll
Update:
Just spoke with John from Audio Connection, he's about 25 min from my house. He will be getting in an Aesthetix Romulus Signature (Same unit as the Pandora Signature DAC, but with a drawer). Once it's fully burned in, I get dibs for a 24h in home audition. So all of you Aesthetix fans can be satiated. :)

The Overdrive SE is arriving tomorrow. If it comes early enough, I'll have opinions by tomorrow night....
Mattnshilp,

As per my Aesthetix Romulus/Pandora Signature's owner manual, it needs 400 hours of burn in.