Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Matt - one thing you should know is that even broken-in components usually need a couple of days break-in after shipping them. I call this the trade-show effect. As hard as we try to break everything in, it still needs a bit on the first day of a trade-show. I believe this is probably due to temperature changes and static charge build-up in the dielectrics.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Update:
The OverDrive SE is in the house. I spent 2 hours listening to the Aeris and the Lampy Big6 before hooking up the OverDrive SE.

Aeris - Wow, what a difference 168 hours has made. It is transformed. I can see that there is still more to attain from this DAC, but it was in diapers when I got it and I think it just passed puberty!!! Musical with a deep, extended soundstage, extended highs (but not bright), wonderful midrange and subatomic lows. I planned on just listening to a few songs since its still only has about 170 hours on it, but I ended up listening to almost my entire playlist!! It's still young, but she is clearly a contender! I will keep you updated on her maturation.

Big6 - Still just as musical and wonderful. I am not certain but I think I detect an air of coloration; call it a warm midrange for lack of a better term. Not a criticism, just an observation. I enjoyed my listening session more with the Aeris this go round, although the differences are more preference then commentary. The Big6 produces the better sense of 3 dimensions. Although this statement is sort of ridiculous to say because it's obvious, but the Big6 is clearly a tubed DAC; with all of the advantages and a very few of the disadvantages that come along with it. The bass is extended and deep, although now the Aeris betters is, and with more control. The midrange is warm and musical; the classic example of a tube midrange. Call it colored, call it musical, call it Herbert…..

What I am realizing is that this task is daunting, to say the least! I essentially have a Bentley Turbo (Lampy), a Ferrari 458 (Aeris) and a Porsche 911 Turbo-S (OverDrive) in my stable. All are awesome!!!! What a wonderful predicament…

OverDrive - Not yet operational. I hooked it up and the Mac does not seam to "see" the OverDrive. I think it's a driver issue. I have contacted Steve and await a response.

I did confirm that the Lampy and Aeris both function flawlessly with the Mac, once I figured out the correct sequence of setting adjustments. I am sure the OverDrive is an easy fix.

Once I listen to the OverDrive later today or tomorrow I will provide my next set of impressions. I will give the OVerDrive a 48h burn in to give it the best opportunity.
Hi Matt, at 170 hours, Aeris is likely just getting into adolescence... I suspect that you will experience some sonic cycling over the next few weeks, with some harmonic and treble anomalies showing up and fading out periodically. The good news is that performance dips will get progressively shorter and shallower each time, while magic will get correspondingly stronger and longer.

Guido