Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Hi Matt, at 170 hours, Aeris is likely just getting into adolescence... I suspect that you will experience some sonic cycling over the next few weeks, with some harmonic and treble anomalies showing up and fading out periodically. The good news is that performance dips will get progressively shorter and shallower each time, while magic will get correspondingly stronger and longer.

Guido
Matt, that's awesome. I'm going to be at Audio Connection Monday late morning I hope as I'm driving to Philly. If you are around, it would be awesome to meet and say hello. Great deal about John letting you play with the Aesthetix. It will be interesting to see if you like how it looks. John's ear leans towards musical and getting lost in the subtleties of the recordings. What a great group you have. Keep on trucking.
Thank you for keeping us updated...Im especially curious how the tube dacs stack against each other, like Lamp against Romulus and then solid state Aeris against Empirical.
I hate to sound like a broken record, but until you get the National Union VT-99 tubes in the Lampi, you are not even remotely close to hearing its potential.