Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
TBG - my room partner and I used my Overdrive in one system and the BMC in another system in or RMAF room last year. BMC is good at that price point, but not in the same league.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Well Joecasey, if you like a flat 3D presentation with the middle octaves distant, then the Sylvania tubes will be for you.
I am not here for any agenda on the Lampi or anything else. I simply suggested a tube change that in my system, which excels in 3D presentation, might give the reviewer here another view into the Lampi sound. And with the CAT amps/SoundLab pair, I can compete with all but the very top systems at the frequency extremes as well.

Solid state designers have many amplification devices to chose from. Tube designers are stuck with a few limited choices which are in high supply, sadly poor performers compared to the past tubes. But the consumer can resolve this with a little effort.

If I based any listening sessions to the tube products I have owned over the years with their stock tubes, I likely would never have been satisfied with any of them. The stock tubes barely give even a glimpse of a tube product's potentialā€¦..I don't care what any tube product manufacturer says about this.

I will soon try a number of rectifier tubes in the L6 and share those findings in a new upcoming thread.
GrannyR,

Except for L7, the Lamp Dacs run the tubes at only 20-25% of rated capacity, so they should last 10+ years. Tube aging is NOT an issue. Indeed at about 20w output, you can leave them on indefinitely without a big energy bill and they will always be "ready". I often do that, except when away on a trip or something, so really no different from SS. In my L4, I have found great Tungrsam NOS tubes for as little as $10 locally and $25 on Ebay with shipping included.

Lukasz told me he made arrangements in case of his untimely demise to immediately release all his schematics publicly online, as he would never leave his loyal customers in a lurch.

In terms of the global economy, small boutique places will likely survive BETTER than larger entities with BIG fixed overheads, etc.

Interms of Transport, that is a different discussuion. DallasJustice had the Empirical Dac with all the trimmings and abandoned it for a TotalDac with Legato 16/44 transport and I think moved on to TotalDac Server and USB converter. I have heard the TotalDac and its very good, but didnt induce me to want to change from lamp.

Many claim the Lampi SB Transport is the best they have for RBCD, especially when fed by Ethernet. I cant say as I never had this experience. I can saw that Lampi DSD is sublime and if any solution is not doing DSD well, I am not interested.
And GrannyR, its not a knock against Steve Nugent, who makes excellent products. However, personal taste varies a lot and I can see why people can choose one thing over another. One caution I will repeat from AGear is that some equipment you only miss when its goneā€¦ I have seen my share of regret sales.

The one thing I dont get from Matt is why would he choose the L6 in this comparison when he has a strong bias to US made equipment (nothing wrong with that). The Polish origins of the Lampizator was known upfront.