Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
I personally Respect what you have said between the Lampy and the Aeris dacs, As it turns out, Reading your last post, I feel the same way as you do!,I also believe you are making a wise decision based on all that you have said here, Bravo!
Another ripple in the equation to consider is mechanical grounding. I like Sistrum products but there are others out there to consider as well. Sistrum has a significant effect particularly on speakers, subs, and tubed gear...

Then there is electrical grounding and power conditioning. I find these all impact digital.
Matt,

What you really needed to do was change out the rectifier. This will relax the sound and get rid of the artificiality you are hearing with the NU VT-99's, put in those Tung-Sols. 40% improvement by just swapping out the tubes? In my book that is HUGE in the audio world. Some folks spend $$$$ just to get 5-10% improvement and they're more than happy.

Doesn't matter I guess at this point. Even though you chose the Aeris, at least you got a flavor of what the Lamp could offer. On to the next battle!

Have fun man...
Hi Matt, You may call me Keith, The comparisons of the Dacs with a volume control you have available that you said you would try them direct to amps now gives me special interest more than before with your shoot-out thread , As a few have said, Thankyou for the time and effort you are doing Here, I must say, I am interested in the Aeris for ALL the same reasons you are, I currently have a modest priced tube digital player, sounds great, on the other hand, when I read the things you pointed out about the problems of tubes in general, like ageing to make the sound performance degrade caught my eye, Back in the late 90s, I run all solid state with success, sounded better than any tube componet at the time I ever listened to any where, tube componets have come a long way in this age, that's likly why I have tried tube componets again, But this tube rolling thing of going thru so many tubes has me not wanting to go down that Rabbit hole!, To me, That is like running multiple brands of cables to use them as tuning devices, you could end up chaseing the tail for-ever, which becomes a huge exspense, tube rolling could end the same way, and of course their is always infant tube failures etc..., I do want to point out, I love tube sound, just not the problems, This Aeris has me interested to see how it fairs in the end of the shoot-out, Thanks Matt, cheers.
Audioengr, I have used it with your former colleague's Legacy Music Server and with several top rated dacs, whose names I will not give as have three other respected dealers and manufacturers. We all have concluded that the PureDac is exceptional. I now have Williams double DSD dac which I will get working this week. It will probably exceed the PureDac, but that is what it will take. This PCM stuff has passed its prime.