How well does the VPI 16.5 work??

I am looking for opinions on the VPI 16.5. Does this machine do a nice job with cleaning new and old vinyl...
Is it messy... what fluids are used..any tricks?
Is there any comparable products that I should consider..
Kindly,
Joe
Custom Audio LLC
audioman4
Before filing down the base of the tube, which may have been required in Rwd's case, check out the collet ring at the base of the vacumm post (not the tube). This ring has an allen set screw that you use to adjust the height of the vacuum wand when it is "sucked down" on the record surface. If the ring is "canted" it will not allow the wand to make even contact. This worked for me.

My 16.5 is far and away the best analog accessory I've ever bought. Worth every scheckel. Look for one in good condition used and you can save but, in my opinion, they are worth the retail price. Not many things you can say THAT about.
16.5 has a powerful motor that allowes you not only vacume the record but clense the dirty one as well with felt brush and liquid.

I use different liquids: Nitty Gritty one for the greasy and dirty records. I spread a large amount of Nitty Gritty with VPI supplied brush accross the whole surface except label and than cleanse the record with Discwasher brush-conditioner with turntable ON. I use Last-regular for taking care of the light dust(the best budget one since just three drops will eat your dust completely)

16.5 can't get rid of small gum-like substances on the record but for this the best tool is the toothpick or cheap cartridge.
If by chance you are interested in the sota, I ordered one
for $599 plus tax and shipping from HCM Audio in Chico Ca.
That is for a brand new unit,and also way under the retail.

Check out hcmaudio.com I found them thru the Sota website.

Just my two cents worth.

Charlie
Charlie: Thanks for the info. "For the record", Sota is located about 15 - 20 minutes from my house. I've talked to Kirk ( from Sota ) regarding their machine and the various design aspects of it vs the VPI's & NG's and came away with the feeling that the Sota is probably a little bit better machine. I have not actually used or seen one though, so it might all be built up in my head. I'm sure that the info that you provided will come in handy for anyone that is interested in obtaining a Sota machine at a good price though. If i didn't already have the machines that i do, i would surely check into the Sota. Sean
>
Maybe someone can tell me what's up with my 16.5. After I wet the record,put the vacuum tube facing the spindle, and turn on the vacuum, the tube lowers, but it stops the record from turning. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.