DAC at us$1000

Looking for DAC AT us$1000 to work with my Sony DVD player. Thank you for your advice.
ken67e7
Yo Ken, Read the review by Robert Deutsch in Stereophile (Dec 2000) of the Bel Canto DAC1. He likes the MSB Link Dac III better for about the same price. Robert raises a good point about the DAC being a means to an end...what do you want your system to be that it isn't now? Smoother or more dynamic? Personally I would skip the DAC because A/V pre-amp processors have them anyway. Upgrade the pre-amp or save your money for a new DVD-audio/SACD player. Blink twice and they will be a $1000 or less. I had the Bel Canto home for a weekend...it is a nice smooth DAC but it didn't sound better than my Rotel RCD-990 and it doesn't have balanced outputs.
I second what rute1 had to say. I am not sure and probably disagree with audiopath because we do not know your other equipment. Using your Sony as a transport along with an up-sampling DAC is the way to go. I have not heard the MSB however I own a Bel Canto Dac-1 which I had upgraded, very good, hard to beat for the price. Hope this helps.
Ken, I have a Bel Canto Dac-1 that is less than a year old I could sell you for $850. Let me know if you are interested.
The best DAC that I've heard period, regardless of age is the Threshold DAC/1E with the big outborad E-power supply. This unit is pretty incredible and has a 0 phase and a 180 phase. Just unbelievable, you have to hear one. It had retailed for about $3300 some years back but if you can find one, a going price is about $1000.
Bel Canto Dac 1, plus a replacement power cord (the stock one sucks and is the root of the "lack of dynamics" complaints), I use a Harmonic Tech Pro 11 ($125.00 used) and a good digital cable. The cable is the Mapleshade Double Helix digital IC ($120.00) on the RCA input from a CAL Icon II. One of the most "musically" satisfying combinations that I have heard to date. This includes Theta Miles, Resolution Audio 55 and MSB Link DAC III combos with the optional power supply. I have not listened to the Full Nelson mod on the Link DAC nor have I auditioned the DAC by Muse, but have heard that these units are special.