SACD Dominates Recommended List

Stereophile just placed 4 CD players in it's top-rated A-Plus Recommendation List. Three were SACD players: the Marantz SA-1, Sony SCD-1, and Sony 777ES. The fourth was a $15,000 Meridian.
tommart
Twenty years ago the introduction of the CD was a distinct step backward as far as sound reproduction was concerned. Fortunately, within the last few years the CD format has sufficiently advanced to the point where it produces high quality playback. Compare that to SACD, which in its initial rollout is clearly head and shoulders above the "mature" CD format. If it's this good in its infancy, then imagine to what sound level it will mature? In this modern age, no format will last forever. In the future music delivery formats will probably last no more than 5-10 years before the manufacturers effectively stop supporting the format. My advice is not to get hung up on the equipment (which includes the little silver discs), but to instead keep moving forward towards the music. Rather than the small, incremental changes afforded by upsampling and expensive cables, the SACD represents great leap forward in sound reproduction.
I have to disagree with you Onhwy61 about the introduction of CD's. When they came out in the 80's, they were vastly superior in quality to the typical (although not high end) TT setup. For 98% of the consumers, it was not only technically and audibly superior, but it offered convenience unparalleled in the vinyl world. And within a couple of years of its introduction, machines could be had for $300, a price that nearly matched its TT equivalents. Its no leap to figure out why it displaced TT's so quickly.

I question whether SACD, or any other high end audio format provides the same kind of draw for the mass market. I'm not sure that those same 98% will benefit from the improved audio quality, and the format itself really offers nothing more. My guess is that with multi-thousand dollar machines, people in general won't be flocking to it.

As an audiophile product, SACD may have some legs, but this isn't a very large market overall. As a consumer format right now, DVD offers quite a bit more to the consumer than either CD or SACD. I'm putting my money on it gaining momentum as we head down the road.

Personally, I'm a bit torn about supporting SACD. Its a good audio format and I'd love to see the high end spectrum leap forward to this degree. But as mentioned in a prior post, Sony has a habit of keeping their technology close to the vest, and I don't really relish an all Sony audio world. Nor do I relish owning a music collection with a half dozen different formats (and the machines to accommodate them). For me, its a wait and see game with a willingness to comprise some audio quality for convenience, content selection, and reasonably priced equipment.

Cheers... Ken
Ken, the cassette was the dominate recorded music format at the time of the CD's intro. Regardless, a multi-format future is all but inevitable. However, how different is that from today? I use vinyl, CD, SACD, cassette, FM radio and open reel tape in my current setup. My HT system has cable, Laserdisc, VCR, cable radio, DVD and CD. Multi-formats is annoying, but unless you're one of those people with their CD player plugged directly into a power amp, it's really not that big a deal.
I want to agree with and reiterate Ken's excellent first paragraph above. CD offered quantum improvements for the mainstream music listener, the likes of which we will not see again. Sonics aside, the covenience, ease of use, and longer playing time made it a slam dunk to succeed, plus it sounded better to most people in their systems, much better. By comparison (not in absolute terms),SACD and DVD-A offer neglible improvements,except perhaps for multi-channel.

I bought an SACD player and I'm rooting for it all the way, but I think the real problem is not Sony but the fact that most people will not find the benefits of it sufficiently compelling to make the change. On the other hand,if we see a flood of hybrid disks at CD prices, we might have something. Will that ever happen?

Maybe if Sony et al positions things properly (not likely), there will be a larger interest in our hobby. The average Joe may want to impress his friends with how he can take full advantage of the SACD's sonic qualities. Who knows it may be the next big screen TV. I'm not saying I necissarily like this proposed future but there may be a chance for education here. Or not!