Cable vs. Electronics: biggest bang for the buck

I recently chronicled in a review here, my experience with a very expensive interconnect. The cables cost nearly $7000 and are well beyond my reach. The issue is, the Pursit Dominus sound fantastic. Nothing in my stereo has ever sounded so good. I have been wondering during and since the review how much I would have to spend to get the same level of improvement. I'm sure I could double the value of my amp or switch to monoblocks of my own amps and not obtain this level of improvement.
So, in your opinion what is the better value, assuming the relative value of your componants being about equal? Is it cheaper to buy, great cables or great electronics? Then, which would provide the biggest improvement?
128x128nrchy
Psychicanimal, marry me. You take me and I'll take a vacation. If I married you I'd need a vacation. Ahhhh I can see it now, you bending over a hot stove, but I can't see the stove!
Say, you better get out of here. I hear they're gonna tear you down and put up an apartment building where you're standing. You know you haven't stopped talking since you got here. You must have been vaccinated with a phonograph needle. If you don't like that you can leave in a huff, and if that's too soon you can leave in a minute and a huff.
GO and never darken my towels again!
Being serious, I need help with the finishing touches of my system. My little Swans should be back from MODWRIGHT next week and I have some serious speaker and power cable issues.

Dan has done an *impressive* modification including 4 Bybee filters, Auricaps, Deflex panels, Jena Labs deep immersion cryo treatment of the four crossover boards and their speaker wire used for internal wiring. Dan says they will "blow me away".

My weak points will be speaker wire and power cords from my 220V ONEAC iso trans to my Tice A/V Solo and PS Audio Juice Bar, as well as all the smaller iso trans I have floating around. I need to find a reasonably priced alternative for my nomadic lifestyle. Also, right now I'm using a mixture of CAT5 and 18 ga Carol silver plated copper wire from The Home Depot. Deano auditioned my system in Chicago and liked the speaker wire--but I moved again.

I e-mailed Bob Bundus the details of what I'm thinking, since he was already informed of my progress as I went along, but I'll appreciate any feedback.

I live in a small 1 bedroom apt. Please realize I'm aiming at a near field system capable of successfully playing any recording of any type of music regardless of recording quality...
Albertporter/Nrchy -

If you will allow me to wipe egg off face, I will admit that I was a bit overly enthusiastic. I do not expect anyone to be swayed by my opinion, after all I build cables as a passion and a business.

On the other hand, CD's do not "throw away" information intentionally, as MP3 and other lossy algorithms do. They just suffer from a slightly lower sampling rate than desirable. This is fixed incidently by DVD-A, which is completely lossless and very high sampling rate. The only problem with DVD-A is the absence of content, but that will hopefully improve over time.