Cable vs. Electronics: biggest bang for the buck

I recently chronicled in a review here, my experience with a very expensive interconnect. The cables cost nearly $7000 and are well beyond my reach. The issue is, the Pursit Dominus sound fantastic. Nothing in my stereo has ever sounded so good. I have been wondering during and since the review how much I would have to spend to get the same level of improvement. I'm sure I could double the value of my amp or switch to monoblocks of my own amps and not obtain this level of improvement.
So, in your opinion what is the better value, assuming the relative value of your componants being about equal? Is it cheaper to buy, great cables or great electronics? Then, which would provide the biggest improvement?
128x128nrchy
WOW... Gone a few days and look at the action! Ah.. it looks as if most of you have started to realize something...

Albertporter! Outstanding response on 09-15-02! That made my day. :) Pure class and well written indeed. Touche'
Hshapiro: my 1m Kondo KSL is a doubled version of AN-Vz. AN-Vz is made of "four wires" and KSL-LP is eight. Similarly, Nordost Valhalla interconnects are rumored to be a double run of Quattro Fil.

Even though the Kondo stuff is expensive, my cables do not cost $19K. They're much less expensive. That person in the quote you made must have been using a 2 meter length. :) Seriously... I think with the Yen/Dollar conversion Kondo KSL is now retailing at $3500 but the US distributor has been selling for $1800 new.

A few years ago however I read stories of AN-Vz being sold in the US for nearly $22K for a 1m length - while in Japan it was only $5K. Weird stuff. Can't explain it.

I've never read of anyone who could bag on Kondo's cables for issues other than price.
Psychicanimal did you get your speakers back yet? What do you think of the mods and the filters? I have been considering the filters since TWL recommended them a few months ago. I'm curious about the results.
Dan Wright has finished the mod and wrote me an e-mail I published in this thread:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1027655496&read&3&4&

Dan and I had a phone conversation yesterday wrapping up everything that has been done. We definitely have an understanding on this subject.

From what I understand the Bybees provide a subtle but definitely pleasant refinement in the musical presentation. This is what Dan wrote: "The Bybee filters lowered the noise floor and improved soundstage and presence."

The Bybees were the most expensive--and undiscounted--part of the mod but Dan convinced me they were pretty much essential in doing this right. Also, the Bybees will allow me to use a homebrew speaker wire with less remorse.

I'm going for some (surplus) 12 ga silver plated copper w/ Teflon insulation and sheathing ($32.50 for 50 ft). It's a 25 ft run and Dan told me to go ahead and use it. A friend of mine has a supervisor who's got a fixed setup for speaker cable cooking, so I plan to meet this person and ask him a favor. I then plan to send the cooked wires for vapor cryo treatment. It should be decent and within reason...

I should have the speakers next weekend, GW.
Psychicanimal, where do you get silver plated copper for .65/ft?
I'd like to try it. Thanks.