Shipping Vinyl LP's

My brother-in-law is giving me 200 vinyl jazz albums from the 60's. The LP's are in Milwaukee and I'm in Los Angeles. Has anyone ever shipped a large quantity of vinyl before? I'm going to Milwaukee to pack them myself and to arrange shipping back here. Any help on this would be appreciated.

thanks,

Mitch
128x128mitch4t
Charlie,

With the addition of the LP's I'm getting from my brother-in-law, I will have approximately 900 LP's. I do plan to buy a first rate record cleaning machine one day. I'm going to Milwaukee to pick them up soon because my sister has threatened to throw them out if he doesn't get them out of her house soon. Admittedly, I just haven't had the time to seriously listen to my vinyl....I've played only about a dozen LP's a year for the past 10 years because of time constraints. BUT ONE DAY, when I do get the time to listen, I will be set...then I'll buy a record cleaning machine.

Thanks, to all of you for your tips. I think I will go with the 13 x 13 x 6 boxes and ship multiples of smaller boxes rather than bigger boxes.

mich
Heck, Mitch, I'll be in MKE in three weeks. If your sister is going to throw them out, I'll save her the trouble!
Get 12.5x12.5x4.5 inch boxes. Each one of these boxes will fit about 15-22LPs depending on the thickness of the jacket, etc. There will be no excess space on any sides of the box. Then pack these smaller boxes in a larger box and you should be all set. I have shipped a number of LPs in this fashion and it works perfectly because they are not able to bounce around in the box at all.
Hey, I live an hour and a half's drive from Milwaukee. I'll take any LPs you don't want! ;)

Good advice above, though I really think you're best using ANY air service over ground service, and the faster you have them shipped (3-day, 2-day, etc.) they might have less chance of getting tossed around, and certainly will have less chance of sitting in hot areas for long periods. Warping really is a bummer! My only other advice is to stay as FAR away from UPS as possible! Those people are careless idiots, regardless of insurance, size, packing or value! Bad UPS, bad bad bad!

Otherwise, if you don't mind spending a little more on freight, I have had great success with Yellow Freight. Had them ship a very heavy, expensive audio mixing console from Boston. It showed up on its own anchored pallet in an otherwise empty truck without so much as a mark on it! Couldn't ask for any better...
Right on Mitch,

Mike shure to thank your sister for not throwing them out
when you get there, maybe a small gift? Becouse seriously,
receiveing that many lp's of good music is really quite a
treasure when you consider how much hunting it takes your
average listener to find just a few good record albums.

One more thing, when you do buy a cleaning machine, be shure to get one with a vacuum. Even if you have to spend
a little more than you planned, I have cleaned my share of
lp's and I think it would be nuts to not have it, it's a
HUGE help.

Happy Listening.

Charlie