Shipping Vinyl LP's

My brother-in-law is giving me 200 vinyl jazz albums from the 60's. The LP's are in Milwaukee and I'm in Los Angeles. Has anyone ever shipped a large quantity of vinyl before? I'm going to Milwaukee to pack them myself and to arrange shipping back here. Any help on this would be appreciated.

thanks,

Mitch
128x128mitch4t
Get 12.5x12.5x4.5 inch boxes. Each one of these boxes will fit about 15-22LPs depending on the thickness of the jacket, etc. There will be no excess space on any sides of the box. Then pack these smaller boxes in a larger box and you should be all set. I have shipped a number of LPs in this fashion and it works perfectly because they are not able to bounce around in the box at all.
Hey, I live an hour and a half's drive from Milwaukee. I'll take any LPs you don't want! ;)

Good advice above, though I really think you're best using ANY air service over ground service, and the faster you have them shipped (3-day, 2-day, etc.) they might have less chance of getting tossed around, and certainly will have less chance of sitting in hot areas for long periods. Warping really is a bummer! My only other advice is to stay as FAR away from UPS as possible! Those people are careless idiots, regardless of insurance, size, packing or value! Bad UPS, bad bad bad!

Otherwise, if you don't mind spending a little more on freight, I have had great success with Yellow Freight. Had them ship a very heavy, expensive audio mixing console from Boston. It showed up on its own anchored pallet in an otherwise empty truck without so much as a mark on it! Couldn't ask for any better...
Right on Mitch,

Mike shure to thank your sister for not throwing them out
when you get there, maybe a small gift? Becouse seriously,
receiveing that many lp's of good music is really quite a
treasure when you consider how much hunting it takes your
average listener to find just a few good record albums.

One more thing, when you do buy a cleaning machine, be shure to get one with a vacuum. Even if you have to spend
a little more than you planned, I have cleaned my share of
lp's and I think it would be nuts to not have it, it's a
HUGE help.

Happy Listening.

Charlie
Mitch, you really need to heed the advice of Elizabeth and/or Herman above. You are simply begging for shipping damage and trouble with single boxing. You need to use a wooden crate or double cardboard boxing with at least 2 inches of firm insulation (available at Home Depot)on all 6 sides between the 2 boxes. Shipping insurance will not pay unless you pack properly according to their published guidelines. Good luck.

I intend to test market some "gorilla-proof" wooden audio shipping crates on Audiogon in the near future. I have already built 4 units and I am simply waiting on my professional photographer before I advertise on Audiogon. Let me know if you are interested.

I could ship a deluxe reusable crate (that will hold all 200-plus albums) direct to your sister in Milwaukee for a very reasonable price. The top is hinged with a hasp lock...your brother-in-law could pack it with little effort and save you the trip to Milwaukee. You and your sister would simply have to make plans to have the crate shipped out of Milwaukee. UPS and FedEx drive me crazy, but I think they could be trusted to deliver your albums safely in this quality glued and screwed crate.

I think it costs about $50 to ship an empty crate from coast to coast and just a little over $100 when loaded up to 150 pounds via FedEx. This could be a very cost effective solution for you.

Additionally, you would own a reusable safe crate for future audio sales and purchases. This crate is ideal for preamps or CDP's with its internal dimensions of 30"L by 30"W by 14"H They are even somewhat attractive with a walnut polyurethane finish or clear oiled finish. I am currently using one as my coffee table.

I wish you the best of luck whatever you decide.

Regards,
Dan Lay
Dan,

I'm interested in your crates...send me some photos at:

mitchell.forte@loanworks.com

thanks,

mitch