Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
To all interested tube-o-philes. Especially those that felt I should have tried an external USB converter and tube rolled the Lampy Big 6...

Please check out the "Taking the Lampizator Bug 6 to the next level" thread in this same forum. It is excellent and JaFox did everything with NOS tubes, upgrades/mods, and external USB converters that people wanted me to do. I'm SO glad he did all or this.
08-28-14: Tbg
Agear, yes I did guess wrong it seems, but we will see in five years.

I have several comments. One is that I know you can get the old Tripoint Troys for a very good price, but I recently got a Troy Signature and will tell you that it is far superior, especially with the Troy SE grounding cables. I didn't say, however, that it wasn't more expensive.

Then there is the Tripoint Emperor which is outrageously expensive but to believe the AE show in Hong Kong reports just unbelievable.

The Signature was my goal. I have read all the verbiage about the Emperor. Crazy. I actually spent time with Miguel and the BMC boys at Axpona in Atlanta a few years back. We did an after hours demo, and it was impressive. Speakers were Lansche at the time.

With regard to your comment about the Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'm soon to be 76 so I don't wait for anything.

I can see that! You are my Dad's age. He retired from the Biochemistry department at the University of Virginia about 7 years ago. He is no audiophile. Its birds, gardening and photography and streamed classical via a Sonos I bought him....
I have not listened to one, however, my friend calvinj has this unit and likes it, It is the Resonessence Labs Mirus Dac, canadian made, check that out, won the most recent awards for best sound, and the designer is the creater of the ESS sabre chip!,May be worth looking into, considering the price of admission is under $6,000.00 for this top model they make, Happy listening.
Matt, I read that and I my experience is polar opposite. So no real definitive learning based on this at all. So many variables to sort through that it becomes impossible to draw any universal conclusions. Have to try it yourself to ever know in your system...that is a fact.