Musical subwoofer for under 1K

I'm looking for a new/used subwoofer that will work well with my ML aerius's. I would like to keep it under $1k. I listen to music 1st, H/T 2nd. Room size is 18x24.
timinator6
This is a little more expensive, but you may get it discounted to $1,000 or $1,100: the REL Strata III. It is simply an amazingly musical subwoofer and great for HT as well. Far better, IMHO, than the REL Q100E. I use it with B&W Nautilus 805's. Simply phenomenal. Spend a little more and you will be incredibly happy with it. It was a whole new system when I replaced my Audiopro with it.
Wow, I logged on to ask the very same question...best sub under 1k to compliment my M/L Areius's...

Anybody familair with the Soliloquy? Does it sound as nice as it looks?

This will be for audio only (HT is in another room). Also, which is the better connection method:

Line level out from the pre amp to the sub then line level from the sub to the amp

or

Line level from pre amp to amp, then speaker wire from the amp to the sub and speaker wire from sub to the M/Ls?

Thanks

Mitch
mitch, imho, the best connection is from preamp to a hi-quality active x-over, w/signal above x-over point going to the amp(s) driving the m-l's; and the low frequencies going to the amp driving the subs. an alternate would be to yust x-over the subs & run the m-l's full-range. any reasonably-priced powered subs' electronics will muck-up the sound of the m-l's much more than a decent active x-over, imo...
Tim,

Not sure if you're still monitoring this string...I have M/L Aerius's as well and am looking for a sub...how did the Vndersteen 2W you got work out?

Mitch
Do not by any subwoofer before listening to the Bag End Infra Sub-18. Very musical. 400W and goes down to 8 HZ (if you can hear it!). I own one after intensive research, including help from this site. Was rated the highest on the "Stereophile Guide to Home Theater". I listen to music 99%. This is it for me!