Attention: Dunlavy Audio Labs out of business

I cannot believe that I am the first to post this.

http://www.dunlavyaudio.com/

Any comments to this? Was this just well known to everyone but me?
mrpoindexter
resale should not be an issue LPgal. If you did your homework and really liked the speakers before you bought them i really doubt you will find anything to replace them with because the dunlavys have an open sound that i haven't heard in other speakers. electrostatics with bass is the only way i can think of describing them. You won't be able to pry mine out of my house
Unsound, I think that Thiel is there in terms of phase and time coherence (the sealed cabinet part may be a bit of an issue -- is a cabinet wholly sealed if it has a passive woofer?). I have read that Thiel may not have the same quality of parts that Dunlavy did though the Thiel construction is superb.

One huge difference after reading the posts above is that Thiel seems to have it's act together in terms of customer service (very, very good) and general business acumen. As Brian states, this may be a good opportunity for someone to pick up where Dunlavy left off. Will used Dunlavy's be worth more now?
Ozfly, Thiel previoulsy made sealed boxes such as the CS 3.5's and the CS 5's. Except for the very first Thiels, all are time, phase and amplitude coherent. Thiel's new sub woofer is the only sealed box in their current line up. No, I don't think a passive woofer qualifies. I have yet to hear complaints about Thiel parts qualitity, in fact I have heard the opposite. I have heard complaints about Dunlavy parts quality. Obviously, I have a preference for sealed boxes. Yes, Thiel certainly seems to have their professional act together. I still think it a shame that Dunlavy is no longer, especially considering the future direction they were promising to go to.
Regarding everyone's concern about servicing Dunlavy speakers, I have had my pair of SCIV's since 1996 and have not had a single problem.
I am not at all concerned about long-term reliability and am considering looking for a pair of IVA's.
The sound is detailed and lively but not fatiguing like the Thiel CS6's I had for 6 months.
I am also saddened by this news. Recently I spoke to Karen Richardson and she had promised to send me a demo of their new DALLAS software (Dunlavy Audio Labs Listener Analysis Software). Not suprisingly it hasn't arrived, but I would be interested to know if anyone managed to get hold of it before they ceased trading?

I can't say that I know of any other speaker manufacturer that went as far as writing their own software to help users setup their listening environment for optimal performance, but I guess it hasn't helped them in the long run...

I have not had any problems with my SC-Vs and I appreciate that most replacement drivers are still made, however, I believe that Dunlavy specifically recorded individual speaker driver performance characteristics for all units sold. Therefore, if you previously needed a replacement they would be able to reassure you that the new driver had past their stringent benchmark tests (something like 60% of drivers are rejected) and they would also try and find the best possible match based on the archived data.