Attention: Dunlavy Audio Labs out of business

I cannot believe that I am the first to post this.

http://www.dunlavyaudio.com/

Any comments to this? Was this just well known to everyone but me?
mrpoindexter
Ozfly, Thiel previoulsy made sealed boxes such as the CS 3.5's and the CS 5's. Except for the very first Thiels, all are time, phase and amplitude coherent. Thiel's new sub woofer is the only sealed box in their current line up. No, I don't think a passive woofer qualifies. I have yet to hear complaints about Thiel parts qualitity, in fact I have heard the opposite. I have heard complaints about Dunlavy parts quality. Obviously, I have a preference for sealed boxes. Yes, Thiel certainly seems to have their professional act together. I still think it a shame that Dunlavy is no longer, especially considering the future direction they were promising to go to.
Regarding everyone's concern about servicing Dunlavy speakers, I have had my pair of SCIV's since 1996 and have not had a single problem.
I am not at all concerned about long-term reliability and am considering looking for a pair of IVA's.
The sound is detailed and lively but not fatiguing like the Thiel CS6's I had for 6 months.
I am also saddened by this news. Recently I spoke to Karen Richardson and she had promised to send me a demo of their new DALLAS software (Dunlavy Audio Labs Listener Analysis Software). Not suprisingly it hasn't arrived, but I would be interested to know if anyone managed to get hold of it before they ceased trading?

I can't say that I know of any other speaker manufacturer that went as far as writing their own software to help users setup their listening environment for optimal performance, but I guess it hasn't helped them in the long run...

I have not had any problems with my SC-Vs and I appreciate that most replacement drivers are still made, however, I believe that Dunlavy specifically recorded individual speaker driver performance characteristics for all units sold. Therefore, if you previously needed a replacement they would be able to reassure you that the new driver had past their stringent benchmark tests (something like 60% of drivers are rejected) and they would also try and find the best possible match based on the archived data.
I am also saddened by the news that Dunlavy has ceased operations. Two years ago, after a somewhat exhaustive search for speakers, I purchased the Dunlavy Vs in the exotic Kevazinga wood finish. (I agree that the standard finishes leave a lot to be desired) And although they are tall coffins, like so many describe them, there was no denying the beauty of this wood. The height and mass of these speakers have never bothered me. In fact, I wanted big speakers.

Enough said about the looks. It's the sound that grabbed me! Since their arrival, I have never enjoyed music so much. I looked forward to getting home every night from work to spin an LP, a CD or an SACD.

Then I really did it. If the V's sound this good, their big brother should be even better. I took the plunge and ordered the VIs. I have never looked back. Like so many other audiophiles looking for that so called "perfect" system, I finally had mine.
I actually made two systems. I use the Vs in a tube setup and the VIs for solid state.

Thanks Mr. Dunlavy for the pleasure your products have given me. (I made these purchases before he sold the company to the present owners) I hope one day when economic times improve that Dunlavy will bounce back. I too, would like to try out the Dallas software.
As an owner of much Infinity IRS equipment (one pair of Gammas, two pairs of Betas and a pair of IRS V) I must say that the driver issue you face isn't that dire. Still, I can at least see a bit how you might be worried. I was afraid to play my speakers at insane volume levels, but once I was able to get over the fear and started playing the speakers like they are really capable, I was again reassured that I had the speakers I wanted and that I shouldn't be worried about the line being dead.

Once again, the super speaker market takes a hit, which makes my speakers that much more special. I tend to view these levels of speakers as like the big predator on the savannah. They are not common and if they were, they would lose some of that appeal that just makes you say "WOW!" when you see them.