Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
You CAN get them. As stated before, I know where some are. Message me if interested. They are not $1500/pr either.

Your 10M 12AU7 is getting tough to find and is a stellar sounding tube also, so you appreciate the finer tubes. I would have never mentioned it if they were totally unobtainable and cost prohibitive. What's the deal man? :)
Audiolabyrinth,
If the 5814 will not work in your player, the 12BH7 surely will not. It draws exactly double the heater current that the 12AU7 does.

I seriously doubt that the 5814 will do any harm to your situation. It only draws a fraction more heater current than a normal 12AU7.

To answer, the 10M 12AX7 is far and away my favorite 12AX7. Smokes the Telefunken for sure. They are pricey also though...

Some of the better 5751 tubes will compete sonically, but I have found no better 12AX7 than the 10M Mullard. Very 3D, extended, with deep powerful bass. Also not as overly warm as the typical Mullards.

Another great tube is the 1950's version of the GE Black Plate 5751's. This tube gets damn close to the 10M, but they don't last near as long.

The 7318 is the best 12AU7 I have tried. Beats 12BH7, ECC99, or any other brand or variant you can think of. It is very special, and yes, it is big on tone, just like the 6SN7.

Cheers!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-RFT-NOS-NIB-12au7-ECC82-tubes-Test-NOS-/171018893946?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item27d1853a7a

The secret is getting out...
I have to agree on the 7318 nothing touches them . The only problem is finding them good luck . I would love to find a pair .