Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Tungram ecc82
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATCHED-PAIR-TUNGSRAM-ECC82-12AU7-UNUSED-NOS-TUBES-TESTED-ON-AMPLITREX-/151396831739?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item233ff451fb
Let me ineterate what i am saying here, if there was a supply to last the next 10 years of the Mullard 10m tubes, I would pay the asking price for them, now from what i understand, a good all around transparent 12au7 or 12aux7 tube is the Amprex tubes, maybe some 5818 tubes?, something like that, Ralph of Atmasphere was telling me about some Amperex tubes that was not bugle boys, but better.
The real issue here is that your gear is using a 12AX7 and 12AU7 in the first place. Most of them suck, plain and simple. There are only a few of them that sound good. I know... Broad statement, based on my findings with them. IMO, YMMV...

The Amperex tubes are good, but I find them a tad soft for my tastes. They emphasize the midrange, particularly the upper midrange more, and are softer at the extremes. They have great presence, image well, but this could easily tip the balance of your system.

I'd go for regular Mullard tubes before Amperex myself. They at least get the balance right.

The only other 12AX7 besides the 10m I would consider is a 5751. GE and RCA would be my top pics. Either grey or black plate, 2 mica or triple mica. They are all about the same to me, but really good nonetheless. These don't last as long, but will give much of the 10M performance for less dough. They also do not work well in all gear that requires a 12AX7. They will either work wonderfully or not. Bottom line, the 5751 is a fantastic tube, if it works well in your gear.

12AU7 tubes, with a couple acceptions, suck. Just not a very linear sounding tube. The 7318 stands well above them all. I'll even say that the 7318 is one of the best small signal tubes you can use. If one has the headroom on heater current, your closest alternative would be a 12BH7 or ECC99. These will tax most gear though as they draw double the current, or more, that the 12AU7 does. With these big plate tubes, good luck finding some quiet ones also.

I like linearity, speed, big dynamic contrasts, focus, 3D holographic imaging, bass slam, and vibrancy. No glare, spit, graininess, or flab. Simply put, I want it crystal clear and like live music. Well, like I envision live music should be at least ;)

The 10M 12AX7 and CBS 7318 really nail this better than any other of these I have tried, and they translate the same to every piece of gear I have tried them in that uses 12AX7/12AU7's. They just so happen to be very tough long lasting tubes that are very rare and pricey. Damn the luck :)

Best thing? Find gear that does not use a 12AX7 or a 12AU7. Lots of better tubes out there that are much cheaper than the best 12AX7/12AU7. How's that?
Thankyou Paul79, I will get in touch soon, great read on the 12ax7/12au7 tubes, so to get an idea of what you like, whats your favorite small signal tube for sound quality?