Disappearing Speakers Sound Better To You ?

Do you get more enjoyment hearing your speakers imaging "outside or around" their physical boundries, or if you hear your speakers playing "more or less" directly from themselves ?
My Dahlquist DQ30I's sound a little of both. I'm sure recordings influence this affect as does the time and phasing of a given speaker. TAS mentioned this in a recent review of the big Sonus Fabers which brought this thought to my attention.
128x128rx8man
If the system is working right, it shouldn't matter. Instruments located exactly where a speaker is should sound like that instrument, and others place elsewhere(whether center between the speakers or outside the far edges)should to. With a top flight system, you should also hear depth in the location of sounds, with some instruments deep behind your back wall, others even with the plane between the speakers, and many in between. The best systems will simultaneously portray instruments even forward of the speakers if that's what's on the recording(not quite as common). If any of this is news to you, you need to hear some other systems at a dealer or another audiophile's home. Cheers,
Spencer
I get greatly more enjoyment whenever speakers seem to disappear, though that isn't to say that certain instruments aren't placed directly in front of the speakers when the recording dictates. If I can clearly place the speakers as the source of the recording,it seems more obvious that I am listening to a recording, and I find it harder to suspend reality if you will.

A "wall" of sound, even if my eyes are open, with instruments being clearly defined, in an almost 3d manner, in space, to me, greatly enhances my enjoyment. Maybe wall isn't the best word choice for various reasons, but sound that seems to be able to eminate well beyond the side boundries of the speakers, far behind the rear wall, as well as in front of the speakers if needed creates an illusion of reality that I find enjoyable. I guess I find it easier to believe I am not listening to recorded music when I can look at the speakers and swear that they aren't playing.

I played a recording of the opening of a rendition of toreador's song to a friend. He was impressed at the placement of vocals, but when I told him only my two main speakers were playing he laughed and told me I was pulling his leg. He swore my center channel speaker as well as some "hidden speakers" were the only way such a soundstage could be created.
I would not own speakers now that did not dissappear in the soundstage as it gives a more enjoyable illusion as long as the whole spectrum is covered down to 40Hz..

Bass is Omni Directional and if you can tell Bass Notes are coming directly from the speakers your in for an unenjoyable presentation. Vocals are a big thing for myself and if I have to strain to hear what is being sung them I pass on that set also. I am lucky as I have the speakers I shall have till I die probably.

Magnepans and Dipoles do very well at giving the illusion of not being there.

Good luck!
Rx8man, are you a pharmacist? I ask b/c I was in pharmacy school before going to med school. Pharmacy is a fantastic field. I am using a pair of Merlin VSM-MMs. I posted a review at http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?rspkr&1087278775&read&3&4&

I honestly can't say enough about these speakers. Check out the review for a more detailed description of their sound.

Jason