Disappearing Speakers Sound Better To You ?

Do you get more enjoyment hearing your speakers imaging "outside or around" their physical boundries, or if you hear your speakers playing "more or less" directly from themselves ?
My Dahlquist DQ30I's sound a little of both. I'm sure recordings influence this affect as does the time and phasing of a given speaker. TAS mentioned this in a recent review of the big Sonus Fabers which brought this thought to my attention.
128x128rx8man
I would not own speakers now that did not dissappear in the soundstage as it gives a more enjoyable illusion as long as the whole spectrum is covered down to 40Hz..

Bass is Omni Directional and if you can tell Bass Notes are coming directly from the speakers your in for an unenjoyable presentation. Vocals are a big thing for myself and if I have to strain to hear what is being sung them I pass on that set also. I am lucky as I have the speakers I shall have till I die probably.

Magnepans and Dipoles do very well at giving the illusion of not being there.

Good luck!
Rx8man, are you a pharmacist? I ask b/c I was in pharmacy school before going to med school. Pharmacy is a fantastic field. I am using a pair of Merlin VSM-MMs. I posted a review at http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?rspkr&1087278775&read&3&4&

I honestly can't say enough about these speakers. Check out the review for a more detailed description of their sound.

Jason
Jason, my moniker is derived from a Mazda RX7. I should have become a pharmacist considering the rising costs of medical !!!! My rotary engine died, so i'm replacing it with a Chevy 350 via an engine swap kit from Granny's Speed Shop, hence my RX8 instead of RX7. This was a few years BEFORE Mazda came out with their new rotary RX8 version. Thanks for the compliment, checking your review out too. Pat
interesting topic...so what might it mean if i don't get much disapearing? i have a pair of paradigm studio reference 20 v.2 and am planning on upgrading soon, maybe to the paradigm signature s2's. but things sound good, i get very good centering, instruments are realistic. but with the exception of a few times, the sound comes from the speakers, not outside of them(other then the center). any advice on what i might do? is it a placement issue, equipment(moon i-5 amp, vpi scout turntable etc). any advice appreciated...