Disappearing Speakers Sound Better To You ?

Do you get more enjoyment hearing your speakers imaging "outside or around" their physical boundries, or if you hear your speakers playing "more or less" directly from themselves ?
My Dahlquist DQ30I's sound a little of both. I'm sure recordings influence this affect as does the time and phasing of a given speaker. TAS mentioned this in a recent review of the big Sonus Fabers which brought this thought to my attention.
128x128rx8man
Jason, my moniker is derived from a Mazda RX7. I should have become a pharmacist considering the rising costs of medical !!!! My rotary engine died, so i'm replacing it with a Chevy 350 via an engine swap kit from Granny's Speed Shop, hence my RX8 instead of RX7. This was a few years BEFORE Mazda came out with their new rotary RX8 version. Thanks for the compliment, checking your review out too. Pat
interesting topic...so what might it mean if i don't get much disapearing? i have a pair of paradigm studio reference 20 v.2 and am planning on upgrading soon, maybe to the paradigm signature s2's. but things sound good, i get very good centering, instruments are realistic. but with the exception of a few times, the sound comes from the speakers, not outside of them(other then the center). any advice on what i might do? is it a placement issue, equipment(moon i-5 amp, vpi scout turntable etc). any advice appreciated...
Sberger
There are several comments I have read of speakers that do this quite well in a conventional Box.

Jean Marie Reynaud (JMR) is one ,but they are hard to get an audition of because they come from France and are imported to NYC if you are in the US.

Magnepans and Quads I think are great speakers, but finicky as to the amps to use.

I know there are plenty of others. I bet DeCapo's and Green Mt. Europa's do a fine job as I have read good things, but where I am it's hard to get an audition.

Good luck!
Sberger, chances are, it is simply your speakers. My previous speakers, PSB Stratus Goldi's, while wonderful sounding, never gave the illusion of disapearing. If you are upgrading, might I suggest considering the Merlin TSM-MM speakers? Based on my experience with the floorstanding VSM-MM's, I know these are worth considering.

Jason
Jwells & RX8

Have you tried of Roger Waters Amused to death?
If not do it and you're in for a nice "ear ride"... specially track 12 Three wishes is specially nice for "effects" listen to the mix of voices that makes the genie voice amazing, not bad for bass too always rises some hairs at my friends visiting...

I've been tweaking quite a lot my system specially vibration wise, as have improved the sense of disappearance improves Jwells I have the Golds and I have put them on bearings and got quite a nice sound improvement, my floor is mosaic....
Regards