Ultimate challenge biggest bang speaker

World class speakers cost lots of money I have discovered what I want my system to sound like, but I want to have money left over for better electronics. Anyone know afffordable speakers (up to $3,000 maybe $4,000) that will bring out all the detail, air, sound stage and life-like sound that I sensed when listening to kharmas or jm lab utopia divas or piega c8ltd. or dynaudio c4. All excellent speakers but surely sometimes a bargain can be found that gives you alot for the money. thanks.
pedrillo
I think they really started to come together after about 100 hours. The 1st to the 50th hours were an exercise in "boy, I may have made a mistake", and I would reposition them. I'm sure you've been there. I've got about 300 hours on them now and they are just excellent in all respects. I have two different sets of electronics set up for them, one for serious listening and one for casual listening. The first is an ARC SP10II driving Sonic Frontiers SFM 160's (check "systems"by my moniker). In addition I take a signal out from "tape out" on the SP10 and plug it into a new PrimaLuna Integrated, which has a mere 35w per side. I purchased this for casual listening, i.e. short periods of time and background. What amazes me is how musical the PrimaLuna is and how well it can drive these speakers to moderate levels, especially considering the price of the unit. The bass potential of these speakers is not shortchanged by this amp in any way but I'm still playing with tube selection to which its quite responsive - as all of the tubes make a real difference the possibiities seem endless. Lots of fun!
I've owned both Linbrooks and, now, Woodmeres. The Millenium tweeters take time to open up and will still get better after 100 hours. The Linbrooks as a system seemed to reach full potential over about 9 months. Well worth the wait!

jb
I have Reimer Speaker System's Teton GS speakers paired with my Lamm gear. You get extremely coherent speakers which can go down to 16hz. These speakers are also very effecient (95db) which allows them to be used with lower powered tube amps. Reimer doesn't advertise therfore does not get much press. IMHO his speakers perform better than others costing much more.
I think that DIY can yield excellent results, if you know what you are doing.

I DIY'd my speakers(Lowther drivers, modded Voigt Pipes), and I am very pleased with the results. They have proven to sound like much more expensive speakers.

DIY can be a very good bang for the buck. But you have to be careful in selecting your design and components, and know what you are doing.