High Current vs high power

Hi!

Often you hear/read comments that the current matter more than the power (example Nait) and one should look for high current more than high power etc.?

Can anyone explain that or debunk the myth (my limited physics knowledge tells me that power and current are interrelated for the same voltage and impedance)?

Also, which amplifiers (pre power or Integrated) have 'higher current' than their peers at same power ratings? Is there any specification that shows the current capability of the amp which one can read and compare? like power, THD etc.?

Thanks
K
kelpie
"But here's the dilemma. How often can one fairly audition speakers, amps and other gear given the paucity of high end B&M stores? Forget being able to control all the variables, like using the same model amp when comparing speakers. At least in my neck of the woods, forget taking gear home. Doesn't happen."

I agree that you can't control all of the variables. The good news is you don't always have to. I'll use myself as an example. I'm very picky when it comes to high frequencies. If a system can't get hf's right, I can't listen to it. I don't find it too difficult to judge components in this area under less than ideal circumstances, like a dealer. Given the fact that hf's are very directional, room acoustics don't factor too much into the equation, at least for me. As long as there's nothing in the way between myself and the tweeter, I can usually pick out what I need to.

Now look at another area; Bass. That's much more difficult because the room is so important. That doesn't mean a demo is worthless. Trying a certain amp with a certain pair of speakers can, at least, give you some info, but you are still taking a chance without listening to the system in your room.

So, where I'm going with all this is to say that you shouldn't give up on demoing equipment just because you don't have ideal conditions. Pick the areas of sound quality that are most important to you, and focus on those. Sometimes you have to get creative. Sometimes you have to have to take a road trip. That's just the way it goes. I learned from some very costly experiences, myself. I have no problem at all driving several hundred miles to get to the 1 dealer that will lend me the CD player. And then drive 2 states over because that's where the speakers are. (With the rest of my system in the car, of course). Why? Because its so much easier to spend it, than earn it!
08-26-13: Bifwynne
Al and Ralph, it amazes me how this technical issue just keeps on giving.
LOL! & so true...
but it's good to see that more & more people are beginning to ask this question & are desirous of understanding this electrical interface. This is good! I'm reminded of a clothing company that I * think* is no longer in business - Syms - their slogan was "an educated customer is the best customer". I feel the same for this hobby (obsession?) of audio. The more the users understand, the more the manuf will be vary of try to pull wool over the users' eyes & the more truthful the specs will be.
On the flip side - Look across the pond in the EC countries - hardly anyone over there buys audio equipment based on specs. And, they manuf some really nice sounding gear!
In the USA (& maybe Canada too?) we are obsessed with specs & make that our guiding light in our decisions....

Kelpie, i 2nd Bifynne - read his other threads where several of us have contributed to clearing up the air. It's extensive reading but it will help a lot.

Bombaywalla +1 a thousand times. Over many years I have discovered specs are really useless. Not even a guideline (like I used to think). It's all about total system synergy. Certain components work better with others and will be horrible with others. Best to take advantage of in home demos. Second would to audition at a friends or dealers with as much of what you own and want to keep (evens if it means bringing some of your own equipment - I've done it). I understand that isn't always possible so if you post a thread best to include Equipment - Room Size - type of music and what sound you look to change. Very important also what you like and don't like.

Ok that being said I didn't answer you question but here is an experience I had. Had a Bryston B100sst driving Dynaudio C1's which is rated at 85db The Bryston B100 was rated @ 180W at 4ohms. I thought more power would make the Dyn C1's sound better. I found 2 integrateds that sounded much more powerful especially in controlling the sound. Naim Supernait and Octave V70se (both rated at 70W). I bought the Octave and have since upgraded to the V110 (again a little more control).

Most important this is what I experienced. Short story - forget specs and just listen.
George, I would respectfully, but very strongly, disagree with the notion that specs, and a good understanding of them, are useless.

Yes, specs will generally provide little if any insight into how a component will sound. And I certainly agree that "buying based on specs" is almost certain to result in expensive mistakes.

However, I doubt that any serious audiophile having even a tiny modicum of experience "buys based on specs." Although those who express disdain for specs commonly seem to make the IMO false assumption that those who consider specs to provide value do buy in that manner.

The very considerable value specs can provide, as I see it, is that when purchase decisions are being made they allow candidates to be RULED OUT, on the basis that they would be poor matches with either other components in the system (e.g. impedance incompatibilities, gain and sensitivity mismatches, etc.), or with the listener's requirements (e.g., dynamic range and maximum volume capability).

Without taking advantage of those kinds of benefits that can be provided by specs (and a good understanding of them), the randomness of the component selection process increases greatly. As does the likelihood of expensive mistakes.

Regards,
-- Al