High End Audio-Gaining Higher Ground?

This is a spin off from a meeting held by audio designers where the primary discussion was about high-end audio and how to get the younger generation interested & involved in high-end audio. One of the speakers mentioned that his son was not the least bit interested in his rig and if something was to happen to him, his son stated it all would be put up for sale on Ebay.

I thought it would be interesting to put this discussion forth to this audio community and to get opinions on the above subject. Are audiophiles a dying breed and what could rekindle this hobby for all new generations.
phd
Neither is the high end bug contagious. While many have found themselves in my listening room and some have made small improvements in their own systems, none have been willing to sell his/her soul for the endorphins.
I'm waiting for the chance encounter but not expecting it.
In the world of "musician appreciation," Peter Green is generally considered a guitar god, Zappa is and was one of the most respected composers and guitar players of his generation, and Lindsey Buckingham is a gazillionaire uber successful dude who is still touring and making his millions of fans happy...maybe a we need new definition of underrated around here.
I'm still waiting on that chance encounter of meeting or running into a fellow audiophile by accident

Don't worry, they are out there. I formed the LVAC (Las Vegas Audio Club) about a year ago and at the moment we're not real big in numbers (about 13-14 people) but the camaraderie is great. I didn't think it would go anywhere, but it has. I am surprised at this. For more info, check out the audio clubs section here under "Las Vegas." And check out our blog: lavegasaudioclub.blogspot.com Thanks!
Sad to say that the Magnolias in my city probably offer the best customer service. The sales staff may not be the most knowledgeable bunch but they are leaps and bounds more personable than the stiffs that work in the local HiFi shops.

That is part of the reason I feel like the brick and mortar stores are falling to the wayside. I would much rather take a chance on buying gear off here either new or used than deal with the apathetic owners if the shops.
Lately I've been checking out the TV show 'Kitchen Nightmares'. Wouldn't it be great to have a show like this but with Audio shops instead of restaurants with hidden cameras and a Gordon Ramsey-ish audio guy coming to critique and go nose to nose with some of these shops!? Of course there will never be enough interest in a show like this so it'll never happen. I remember decades ago when one of the audio digests, TAS or S'phile, ran a series of articles (or was it letters?) encouraging people to write in about shitty customer service and bad manners in the shops. With most brick and mortar shops currently on life support, it surprises me when I read about boorish behavior in the shops. You'd think they'd know better by now.