High End Audio-Gaining Higher Ground?

This is a spin off from a meeting held by audio designers where the primary discussion was about high-end audio and how to get the younger generation interested & involved in high-end audio. One of the speakers mentioned that his son was not the least bit interested in his rig and if something was to happen to him, his son stated it all would be put up for sale on Ebay.

I thought it would be interesting to put this discussion forth to this audio community and to get opinions on the above subject. Are audiophiles a dying breed and what could rekindle this hobby for all new generations.
phd
Frog,

I have two teenagers.

There is truth to what you say about "kids" these days, but its really a moot point.

Times do change, but basic truths do not. Knowing the differences and adapting takes time. Same true when I was a kid. My generation did not resemble my parents at all. We became more alike as we grew older and wiser hopefully. That's pretty much always the case. The times largely make the person, but so do core values, which fortunately do not change nearly as much.

We are all programmed to take notice of music, to different extents and in different ways, much like the music itself. THere is no equation or magic formula for what works best. Kinda cool really!
Frog, the reason parents do not discipline their children is that the social forces inherent in economic globalization
have driven the nuceler family in on itself in this phase of dog-eat-dog late capitalism.
Kids are needed as friends .
BTW, rock is a social force, I watched dancing go from a intimate act to an individual exibition as one example.

Read " Bowling Alone".
I see your point Frogman, thanks for that. I basically agree with it as well.
"Ultimately, what's the difference between Gwyneth Paltrow blogging about the 16 different products she puts on her face to let her natural beauty shine and a group of audiophiles describing ultra high end footers and how it let's them hear the music?"

Different hobbies.

Hobbies are hobbies. The only thing they have in common is is what the particular hobby enthusiast finds interesting.

It's nice to have a little time at least to waste on something I suppose. I like many hear am a sucker for good sound, so I find high end audio interesting. What better way to waste time than talking about what is high end or not. :^)
Economic globalization will turn out to be a blessing most likely.

We are all less prone to fight when in the same economic boat together. That's a good thing I think.

When people come together, in any way, it is usually a good thing. The exception of course would be sexually transmitted diseases. :^)