High End Audio-Gaining Higher Ground?

This is a spin off from a meeting held by audio designers where the primary discussion was about high-end audio and how to get the younger generation interested & involved in high-end audio. One of the speakers mentioned that his son was not the least bit interested in his rig and if something was to happen to him, his son stated it all would be put up for sale on Ebay.

I thought it would be interesting to put this discussion forth to this audio community and to get opinions on the above subject. Are audiophiles a dying breed and what could rekindle this hobby for all new generations.
phd
Frogman - You seem to be conflating two topics here. Just as spirituality existed for centuries before churches co-opted it, so too did music exist for eons before electricity enabled the music industry. The beauty and majesty, the spiritual uplift, that you treasure in your music does not depend on electronic conveyance of a type or quality. It emanates from the human spirit and cannot be suppressed by opinion, data or my presentation of statistical inevitability.

I've often wondered if our pursuit of an ever greater high in listening to and striving for rapture amounts to anything more than trying to capture the high without the drugs. Marijuana played an enormous role in the birth of hi-end audio mass consumption and will (if anything can) be instrumental in its revival.
Insofar as press reports indicate that headphones are the only segment of the audio hardware biz that is growing, I have to speculate that the future of music enjoyment will be more personal - just as the pursuit of spirituality trends that way. As pot gains wider acceptance, maybe, just maybe, it will return to stoned listening circles something like we formed back in the day. More likely, in this computer age, it stays portable and private. Cans and wax are the future.
We are history. We played a damned important part, though. Look back at how much of the 1960s era social change has come to fruition and how much is just unfolding. Our society will never learn to think. That doesn't prevent the human spirit from doing the right thing in spite of itself and the meddling of religions.
That's whatI'm celebrating today, the 4th of July.
****Just as spirituality existed for centuries before churches co-opted it, so too did music exist for eons before electricity enabled the music industry. The beauty and majesty, the spiritual uplift, that you treasure in your music does not depend on electronic conveyance of a type or quality. It emanates from the human spirit and cannot be suppressed by opinion, data or my presentation of statistical inevitability.****

I cannot disagree with a word of that; very well said. I said the same thing in four words:

".....; even if not necessary."

The rest of your post? I am not so sure; but, thought provoking nonetheless. Thanks for the response and Happy 4th indeed.
Marijuana played an enormous role in the birth of hi-end audio

Really. How so? and why. Thanks.
Macrojack, I think you touched on the periphery of a subject that is seldom examined; the difficulty many audiophiles experience being satisfied with living in the present. You make the analogy of seeking ever greater audio realism with a drug users endlessly chasing a better high. There's a great deal of truth in that analogy I think. Both music and drugs can create pleasurable experiences and create a craving for the next endorphin rush.

That situation is just one aspect of a broader problem with the human mind. We humans are constantly comparing our present experience to something in the past we retroactively imagine was better than the present or we are creatively constructing a future that's better than the present. Constantly flickering between an imaginary more perfect past/future and the imperfect present creates the perfect consumer and an endless state of audio nervosa. It remains to be seen if that characteristic of the human mind will be our species most desirable or most harmful trait. Without the ability to imagine a better future, we'd still be shivering in cold caves and living a hunter gatherers lifestyle. If we don't tame our inability to be content with enough, we'll end up destroying the resources that sustain us.
You make the analogy of seeking ever greater audio realism with a drug users endlessly chasing a better high. There's a great deal of truth in that analogy I think.

I think so too. Having never used drugs, although I have abused alcohol in the past and I used to smoke, my number 1 "drug" of choice is and was music. More audio realism gets you closer to the actual performance, imo. That's what I'm in this for; to get a thrill out of a musical event happenning right in my listening room. To get as close as possible to a band playing in front of you. I think that's the general idea of high end audio; to approximate the original performance. Personally, I'll never be fooled that I have a band in front of me, but you can get close, imo.