High End Audio-Gaining Higher Ground?

This is a spin off from a meeting held by audio designers where the primary discussion was about high-end audio and how to get the younger generation interested & involved in high-end audio. One of the speakers mentioned that his son was not the least bit interested in his rig and if something was to happen to him, his son stated it all would be put up for sale on Ebay.

I thought it would be interesting to put this discussion forth to this audio community and to get opinions on the above subject. Are audiophiles a dying breed and what could rekindle this hobby for all new generations.
phd
I have to disagree. One doesn't need all that makeup to look good; and I wonder what the women here think of that comment. Enhancement? Possibly; depending on the tastefulness of the subject and the eye of the beholder. High end audio, in the true sense of recreating the original event, is not an enhancement; it is the stripping away of the "makeup" in order to get at the natural beauty within.

It is true that one doesn't "need" all the trappings of audiophilia in order to enjoy music. It is also true that many do, in fact, use it as makeup; but, that enhancement (for example: a subwoofer turned up too loud) is a distortion and often detracts from the enjoyment to the ears of an astute listener. While some of these ideas are thought provoking and have some truth in them, I am left with the thought that if, in fact, the highend is dying it is no wonder that it is; and, ironically, it is in part because some audiophiles seem hellbent on taking away from it what is (or can be) a truly noble goal.
-
High End Audio manufacturers discussing how to get the younger generation interested in equipment is like tobacco companies discussing how to boost sales.
Maybe they need to take a lead from the Oil companies. They seem to be doing fine.
I have two younger children and I would never encourage them into High End Audio. I'm like Marley's ghost with the chain and money box on my ankle, but this stuff is electronic.
If either of my children keep any of my stuff, I hope it will be my RECORD COLLECTION!
-
At best I'm trying to recreate the sound in the mastering studio which may or may not have a basis in real time musician performing.

I would agree with that. However, to get the sound of the master tape, you need the master tape. Everything else is a copy. On the other hand, there's excellent copies out there, like very first pressings, white label promos, etc. Perhaps with mostly imperfect recordings and let's face it, there's no such thing as perfect equipment, quite a few audiophiles are the proverbial cat trying to catch its own tail. I plead guilty to this as well. You really have to sit down and spare a moment to think what you're after in putting together an audio system. This stuff isn't cheap, as you know.
Dave_72 you already know about expensive mistakes, I have made a few mistakes myself, not anymore. I have a problem giving advice to anyone who has just entered this hobby and what to recommend because it will take a few years of trial and error to get a grip on what sounds good for yourself. It was of little consequence to try different products over time because it was very easy to turn gear over on Audiogon at the time, so very few dollars were lost, I don't think it is that easy now.