Some amplifier questions

I plan to set up a sound system for my bedroom. The room is 16'x14'. I have a 65" Panasonic TV at the 14' end of the room. I want to have a center, sub and two front speakers. Should I be looking for a 3 channel amp or will a 5 channel work fine even though I won't be using all 5 channels? The system will be for 90% television and 10% music. What should I be looking for in a receiver? How many watts, features? What price range? The room is so small I can't listen to music very loudly but I don't want to be under powered. Some amp suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
wemfan
Great information. I looked up everything you suggested. I couldn't find audiophileliquidators.net The website just wouldn't work. The E110 sub was $1500 in every other place I looked. Also, the Emotiva UPA-200 is a stereo amp. Wouldn't I need a 5.1 or at least a 3 channel amp? I need floor standing front speakers as wall speakers just won't work. I really appreciate the long post that was full of good information. I plan to get the Oppo 105 and a couple more suggestions on speakers and an amp would be very helpful. Thanks a bunch.
The KEF LS50s have been getting rave reviews and an A rating from Stereophile. I'd check out used amps on Audiogon. You might find a used sub as well.

db
For a top-flight bedroom system, I'd recommend the following:

1) Oppo BDP-103 or BDP-105 ($500 or $1200
2) Emotiva XPA-3 3-channel amp ($800)
3) Gallo Stradas for L/C/R speakers ($700 ea.)
4) Velodyne DD+ 10 subwoofer (about $1,000 on Audiogon)

This will give you a *very* highly resolving system that will playback every shiny disc available as well as provide internet/network streaming. At the top end, it will run you about $5100 (BDP-105), and about $4300 if using a BDP-103. Buying all the items used could knock $500-800 off the price tag.

This would be KILLER bedroom system!

-RW-
Wemfan,

You may want to avoid Audiophile Liquidators. I did some research and some have had less than pleasant experiences with them. Nobody's claiming fraud or loss of money but are mainly claiming poor customer service. Paying with a credit card, especially Amex, will offer some recourse if trouble arises. The prices are great but I've never bought from them. Do a google search, read the reviews and you can make an informed choice. You'll also see their website listed.

If you buy the E110 or another powered sub, you will only need a stereo amp since the amplifier is built into the sub enclosure. You'll need to plug in the subwoofer to a wall electrical socket and also run a line level rca cable from the 105's analog subwoofer output to the sub's line level input. You can set the crossover frequency on either the sub or the 105's setup menu. For an initial 3 spkr setup(a sub and l+r front speakers)you'd only need a stereo amp. However, if you'd like an initial 3.1 setup(sub, center channel spkr and r+l front spkrs), then you are correct that you'd need a 3 channel amp. Emotiva and Outlaw both offer good 3-ch amps, also.
I believe the Magnepan MMG and 12 models are offered as wall mounts or free standing on supplied stands for a similar price. They are both very good speakers from the midrange on up but are a bit weak in the bass regions due to their smaller size. However, either model in combination with a good sub (crossed over at about 80hz) would produce excellent results. I use the older and larger Magnepan 2.7qr spkrs with a sub with very good results in my music/ht system. I also think I have the same hdtv as you; a Panasonic 65" VT60 plasma. I can say for certain that this unit with an Oppo 105 is an outstanding combo. Good choice on the 105, you'll gain better audio over the 103.

You also asked for a few more speaker and amp suggestions. I just need a few questions answered before I can offer useful suggestions:

Are you going to definitely buy a sub? center channel?

Can you break your budget down by amp + speakers and sub + center if wanted?

Are you interested in using a 5.1 or 7.1 setup in the future, adding side and/or rear speakers? A yes answer will influence my amp choices.

Is 90% tv/movies and 10% music still accurate?

Thanks,
Tim
Wemfan,

I just read the Stereophile review on the KEF LS50 speakers that Dbphd recommended. These look like something you should consider, very good review. You would need a pair of stands with these($100-150) and would probably need a new or used sub($800-1,000), too. Also, you'd need a 3-channel amp like the Emotiva for $799 and a matching KEF center channel for $300-400. At $1,500, the speakers look like a bargain but the whole setup would run between $3,500-3,700 plus the $1,200 for the Oppo 105. I'm not sure if you want to spend that much.

The Rlwainwright suggested Gallo Strada system looks very interesting but probably should be considered a hi-end alternative with a matching price of $3,100 for l/c/r and sub. You'd either need to wall mount the l+r small speakers or purchase the optional stands for $450/pr.

Another suggestion I would propose is the Golden Ears Triton Three speakers (http://www.goldenear.com/products/triton-series). These are $999 each but have a built in amplified sub in each speaker so no $1,000 sub should be needed. They are good looking floor stand speakers that might simplify your setup. You'd still need one of their matching center channels(the larger Supercenter XL for $799 or the smaller Supercenter X for $599)and a 3 channel amp like the Emotiva XPA-3 $799 on Amazon).
This I would also consider a hi-end system with matching price tag that would be a total of $3,396 -3,596, depending on the center channel chosen and also don't forget the extra $1,200 for the Oppo.

We're good at spending your money, aren't we?

As you can see, you have lots of options and we're only suggesting a few. You have so many options at your healthy budget that it may help you to visit a few retailers and get a listen.

Are you going to wall mount your 65" plasma? If yes, I think the wall mounted hdtv, with a shelf or stand below (containing the amp, Oppo and center channel) with a Triton Three flanking the tv on each side, would be an extremely good looking and sounding bedroom system. Of course, you could also substitute the KEFs or Gallos,too. You have a ton of options, my friend.

I wrote another reply yesterday that hasn't posted yet,
Tim