Some amplifier questions

I plan to set up a sound system for my bedroom. The room is 16'x14'. I have a 65" Panasonic TV at the 14' end of the room. I want to have a center, sub and two front speakers. Should I be looking for a 3 channel amp or will a 5 channel work fine even though I won't be using all 5 channels? The system will be for 90% television and 10% music. What should I be looking for in a receiver? How many watts, features? What price range? The room is so small I can't listen to music very loudly but I don't want to be under powered. Some amp suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
wemfan
Wemfan,

Two points to consider:

(1) If your LR speakers image well, you may not need a center channel. Reviews suggest the KEF LS50 image exceptionally well, but other speakers also image well. I removed our center channel, because the big KEF Reference 107/2s image so well a center channel is redundant.

(2) Low frequencies are most critical for room correction, and you might be able to find something like the Velodyne SMS-1 bass manager used at a good price. I've long used an SMS-1 to control a pair of HGS-15s, and I recently bought a pair of SMS-1s for $450.

db
Another option to consider is pairing an Oppo with active speakers such as the KRK VXT8.
Yesterday the audio rack arrived so I measured it and the space is 7'x20" where the center channel will sit. I am a little afraid to not have a center speaker as Dbphd suggests because I am having some trouble understanding some dialogue and that is one of the main problems I want to overcome. I installed a speaker bar in another bedroom with the same model television and it really cleared up the dialog for me so I am thinking I definitely want a center speaker since I will be mostly listening to television on this system.

I have been fighting a cold all week so I haven't been researching my options but early next week I plan to order the Oppo then make some decisions on the speakers and amplifier. I tend to always upgrade and really hate it when I go too cheap so I may up the amplifier quality some. i guess I need to decide on speakers first then I will post back here and you guys can help me make a good decision on an amplifier. The KEF LS50 speakers look really good but I also really like the idea of the sub being in the Goldenear cabinets, too.

I plan to restart my research on Monday and look up the new suggestions and go from there. I really appreciate all of the help. I am looking up and carefully considering every suggestion. Like anybody I want a good system at a fair price so I am reading and rereading the suggestions. I will keep you guys updated as I go along. Thanks...
Wemfan,

When you get the Oppo and before you commit to a center channel, try setting the center speaker to off in the Oppo set up menu so all dialog is apportioned to the LR speakers. The ability of the LR speakers to image well will have a strong effect on dialog intelligibility. The Stereophile sampler and test cd can be helpful in judging imaging. Well set up speakers should be able to generate a strong centered image.

db
I once helped a guy set up a home theater on which he spent about $15,000 on very good speakers and electronics, but his beloved antique cabinet would only house a 42" widescreen TV. What a crime. I think letting a cabinet dictate your choices is a frustrating (and avoidable) situation given how many cabinet types/sizes there are out there, and unfortunately your 7" height restriction is going to rule out a lot of great center speakers and significantly reduce your remaining choices -- at least for a good center speaker (even a third LS50 is too tall). Too bad, especially since you're rightly very concerned about dialogue clarity. It's a great pet peeve of mine too and why personally I wouldn't compromise on the quality of a center speaker. Hopefully you'll get some workable recommendations from the good folks here.

That said, I do agree with Dbphd that if your front L/R speakers are capable of producing clear mids and image well and your listening position is close to midway between the two speakers you might be very happy (and maybe even happier) without a center speaker. I had such a setup for several years and didn't miss a center channel one bit. Personally I'd rather have dialogue reproduced by two high-quality speakers than one compromised speaker if that ends up being the choice, but like I said maybe you'll get some good recommendations that will preclude that from being the case. Again, best of luck.