Musical Fidelity and Sonus Grand Piano too bright.

Hi All,

I'm finding that this set-up is a little on the bright side (acoustic guitar especially). Sometimes I get ear fatiuge. Everything is all burned in. I've had all the equipment for over one year.

I'm considering changing all the electronics, but not sure where to start. I'm looking for SS stuff with a tube-like sound. My price range would be something comparable to the MF stuff. My only contraint is that my new electronics must have an HT bypass.

My system consists of the following:
1)Sonus Grand Piano Home (not Domus);Walls & Solo
2)Musical Fidelity A308 Integrated
3)MF A3.24 DAC
4)Synergistic Alpha Quad Interconnects and Speaker Cables.

thanks,

Tghooper
tghooper
I've heard the Grand Pianos with an Audio Research 100.2 and Transparent cabling and liked it very well indeed. The MF electronics are probably not ideally matched to the treble of the speakers.
I agree - the MF 308 is on the bright side. Newer MF is a little darker and doesn't have that bightness anymore. I have never heard a pair of SF speakers sound bright so I don't think they are the problem. I would suggest trying a McIntosh MA6500. Arthur
I thought about doing some sort of isolation. This might be the most cost effective altnerative. Also want to add that I'm using the MF x10v3 Tube Buffer between the DAC and transport (old CD player), so my system just might need a little tweeking.
I have the same system and the treble is a realy big problem. The problem is the amplifier. I´ve heard whith a copland, a plinius and the treeble was smooth. I´m choosing a new amplifier.
So far no one has mentioned the room possibility as a problem. If you did not have this brightness problem before in the same room but with different equipment then maybe it is the speakers or components. But, I have found any given set up to sound incredibly different in different rooms. Often if the sound is too bright, you can tame the room with some simple changes to the room (Absorption panels at the reflection points) as well as toe-in changes to the speakers. I have heard the SF speakers you have and found them not to be bright at all. So if it is not the room, then perhaps the electronics...which I have not heard.