Air Tight ATM2 Direct Driven by CDP?

Does anyone have experience using the Air Tight ATM2 KT88 amp direct-driven from a CD player with a variable output? I have a Cary 303/300 and I'm thinking seriously about purchasing the Air Tight amp, but I want to avoid a preamp if possible. I realize the ATM2 has a two-channel attenuator as well, but what does it sound like driven directly from the CDP? My Cary has audio output levels of 3.0 Vrms single-ended and 6.0 Vrms balanced.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xbblilikoi
Thanks. This is very good to know. I've seen ATC-3 Pres out there, but no ATC-1 pres yet. I'm now using the ATM-2 with a Thor TA-1000 Mk 2, which is fairly transparent, I think. It passes along every tube change in the Air Tight and can sound analytic sometimes, especially with 6550 power tubes and all Telefunken triodes in the power amp. I find I myself need to "sweeten" the sound with Mullards in the Air Tight input stage and in the Thor's 12AX7 positions. So, your ATC-1 Pre must contribute what's needed perhaps. However, all my listening is from a digital source--a Cary 303/300.
Bblilikoi: I have tried running my Ayre Universal player C-5xe to the Manley Steelhead's line-level input and the Steelhead's variable output drove a pair of BAT VK-150SE directly (as Manley's suggestion to avoid another electronic layer - preamp). I also tried running the Ayre through the Steelhead then Steelhead's fix output to an Air Tight ATC-3 to drive the BAT amps (i know..i can omit the Manley between the Ayre and Air Tight..but i just wanted to findout what effects the Air Tight had on this chain). To my surprise, with the Air-Tight in..the sound had more punch, more authority without sacrificing any of the transparency and I didnt notice any increase in noise floor.
With a side note: Ayre C-5xe's output is relatively low (1 and 2VRMS for DSD on unbalanced and balanced output, 2.05 and 4.10VRMS for PCM , respectively. Here are my points (after a long interlude):
1. If your source's output is low, it might not be a good idea to drive the amp directly using just an attenuator (in your case, ATM-2's; my case, Steelhead's)
2. Having an extra electronic layer might not always be a bad thing, especially if it is really transparent, and it can provide extra gain without adding too much noise.
3. Try and hear for yourself all the configurations, eventhough at first it might seem nonsense (as long as you dont do any damage to your system)
This is why i had to add the Air tight ATC-3 pre in my system and run everything (phonostage, CDP) into it instead of just using the Manley. The sound now is so much more satisfying
Best regards.
Mahalo Jaytea,

I'm running the Cary 303/300 through a Thor TA-1000 Mk.2 preamp I'm trying now with good results. Running it direct into the ATM-2 Air Tight made the music sound like amplifed MP-3 files--rough, etched, not great. The Thor seems to me transparent, adds gain, and has a kind of big stage and good imaging in small combo acoustic music. But I listen mainly to choral, opera, and orchestral music, really, and it's pretty good for that too. With small choirs, it's magic.
Bblilikoi: Are your Air Tight ATM-2's transformers quiet? As posted in the other thread, my new ATM-2 's power transformer hums and can be heard from 3, 4ft away...I'm exchanging it for another one (but will take 4-6 weeks for delivery though) but still curious to know if Air Tight usually have this problem.
Aloha Jaytea,

Yes, my ATM-2 transformers are quiet. I'm sorry yours aren't, but glad Air Tight is getting you a new unit. That's very good to hear about Axiss Distributing. I haven't heard of this problem with the amp before.