cat jl3 signatures vs. atmashere ma2III's

Has anyone had the cahnce to hear these amps side by side? I was wondering what the sonic differences would be between them. I have heard the cat jL2 signature but have not heard the monoblocks. Do you think the atmasphere would give me the bass slam of the cats. I know both have great midrange and I know that the cat will be a little more "maintenance" but which one do you folks prefer and why? Any input would be much appreciated.
optarchie
The Atmashere is lusher and more musical. I am a huge CAT fan but their pre-amp is way better than their amp. The CAT amp is thin and doesn't have any drive.
I never heard of a cat not having any drive. THere must have been something wrong with the set up because one thing cat is famouse for is their ability to drive almost anything
Duane: How you got so much wrong in so little space demonstrates quite a bit of skill on your part... but perhaps not the kind of skill one wants to advertise.

"The Atmashere is lusher and more musical."

No, it's not.

"their pre-amp is way better than their amp."

No, it's not.

"The CAT amp is thin and doesn't have any drive."

Exactly the opposite. It has more body and drive than most every amp on the planet.

Look on the bright side: It probably took you only a half minute to make all these mistakes so at least you didn't waste much time. Your time, anyway.
Optarchie,

I use Atma-Sphere MA-2 Mk.III amplifiers driving Avalon Eidolon speakers. The Eidolons are a nominal 4 ohm load, with a minimum impedance of about 3.6 ohms, and about 87db sensitivity. I find the Atma-Sphere to be phenomenol match to the Eidolons, fully delivering all of which the Eidolons are capable.

In my opinion, the strengths of the Atma-Sphere MA-2s are their incredible midrange transparency and neutrality, accuracy of overall harmonic overtone rendition, and ability to delineate the body and texture of individual instruments and vocalists. The great midrange strengths of the MA-2 are complemented by exceptionally agile and accurate bass response, delivering the best that solid state has to offer but with all the virtues of tubes.

If your preference is for tubes that will help make everything sound sweeter, more beautiful and consistently easy to listen to, look elsewhere. But if your priorities include needing an amplifier that is highly resolving, exceptionally neutral and transparent, with no artificial edge or highlighting, the Atma-Sphere is an amplifier I can recommend to you without qualification.

But rather than trying to write a review of the Atma-Sphere MA-2s, permit me to suggest that you read what Marc Mickelson, editor of Soundstage, has had to say in his several reviews of the MA-2 over the years. Here are links to two of his articles:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/atmasphere_ma2iii_followup.htm

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/atmasphere_ma2ii3.htm

Best wishes,
Optarchie,

With 93db / 8ohm impedance, your speakers should be an easy load to drive. I'd think either of these amps would be overkill. I would consider the CAT JL2 or Atma MA1's instead. You'll save a ton of $$$. Of course if you change later to a very power hungry speaker, that's another story.
I've heard both the JL3s and MA2mkIIIs on multiple occasions, but never side-by-side. IMHO, the Atmas do things that few amps can do as well. They are incredible at untangling complex orchestral music while maintaining natural timbre and timing. The mkIIIs do indeed "do bass" quite well, and significantly better than the mkIIs. I really think they don't defer to the CATs in this or any other regard.
Another reason I would recommend Atma-Sphere is the superior support that Ralph & his team provide. He is one the the most gracious and helpful individuals in the biz, and will make himself readily available to help with anything from troubleshooting a bad tube to helping you with DIY mod advice on your other gear.
FYI, my bias is that of a happy owner of MA1s. FWIW, I've also owned CAT components. Cheers,
Spencer