Brand preference and opinions

Like cars with many brands, it is generally considered that Mercedes Benz, BMW, Lexus, Audi, Acura, Rolls Royce, Porsche, etc... to be in the top group. Ferrari, Lamborgini, Mclaren, etc... to be in the elite group and of course Toyota, Honda, Ford, Nissan, etc... to be in the general group.
Getting back to audio, I am looking for your opinion as to what is in the top group. For example, I think Conrad Johnson, Mcintosh, Mark Levinson, etc... brands to be in this group.
I like your opinion what would be in general the top brands for this group in the order of what is considered higher level.
My reasoning.... I am considering buying a amp/preamp or integrated amp based on brand only just like some people who buys a low end Benz for the prestige even though they could have had a higher end Lexus for the same money
shsu
It's not a new purchasing style. In the 1970's lots of people bought McIntosh stuff this way. Granted, much of it sounded great, but the folks I'm thinking of didn't have a clue that was the case. They bought it because it was McIntosh and anybody who thought they were anybody had it.

So Shsu, don't buy by brand, there's too many choices. Limit your choices by purchasing by cost. Without a doubt, the most expensive is the best!

Happy hunting...and, oh yeah, "good luck".
I'd listen to the brands first. Sure take the brand name into account as resale is something to consider. But like the cars MB, BMW, Audi, Lexus, Infiniti all have very different driving characters and interiors. I couldn't stand a Lexus or Infiniti but they'd have a great resale (well maybe not the Infiniti) but what's the point of buying something you use every day but dont' like? Get out there and listen. You'll be suprised at the differences in sound amongst the different brands.
Shsu....Let me jump in on the side of the minority opinion. We enjoy a hobby that includes magic rocks, Timex clocks that work wonders, dots placed on windows, $18K interconnects, racks that cost thousands upon thousands of dollars, moving speakers a fraction of an inch to achieve God only knows what, and we have the balls to call shopping by brand a crap shoot? (Honestly, not directed at Warrenh). This entire hobby is a crap shoot at best. Buying by brand for prestige doesn't really seem all that far out there. Thanks for your patience, I'm a Steeler fan for the last 48 years and not in that great of a mood at the moment. Now, please let me get back to putting on my white gloves to change LP's.
My guess is you want to impress your friends more than for your own personal enjoyment. Folks, actually some people are like that and there is nothing wrong about it. It's their choice. I've seen some people who don't play the piano at all but have huge 6' grand pianos in the living hall just for show. An audiophile or music enthusiast may think of this as ridiculous but those who have the same intention may think of it as perfectly fine. If you look at a different perspective, some non-audiophiles may think of us as crazy spending thousands of $$$ on cabling alone, which to them may not make any sense!

Or maybe the original poster didn't fully explain his intention of getting components based on 'brand' only BUT at the same time sounds good?
Or maybe the original poster didn't fully explain his intention of getting components based on 'brand' only BUT at the same time sounds good?
Ryder

Sound good to who?

Shsu seems to be more interested in what sounds good to others than what would sound good to him/her. No mention of the type of sound that would please him/her. Rich, warm musical or fast, dynamic, transparent. He/she only wants brand names, sound has nothing to do with it.

How about Boulder? They certainly make some expensive gear...... that should impress your friends.

Cheers,
John