class d

I want to hear from people who has had experience with these that did not work out and why,all you hear is the positive.I'm not wanting to bash them whatsoever, its just there are people that dont like them,im curious why.Yes ive had a couple,they didnt actually sound bad,but they didnt draw me into the music at all either.
128x128coffeey
08-01-08: Jimmy3993
I am curious about class D and seeing that there are vaired points of view cements my decision to bring a couple home for a listen.
That's what counts, and all that matters.
Hi Jimmy3993. Glad the lively debate stirred your interest. Please let us know what you decide to listen to. . . and of course let us know your impressions. Guido
i am auditioning a class d non digital switching amp.

the raptor amp is a serious reworking of the bang and olufsen ice power module.

it is a product from the glacier audio company, www.glacieraudio.com .

i generally prefer tube-based designs, but the raptor is an amp i could live with, if i were forced to give up tubes.

this amp has been reviewed by henry wilkenson, on audiophilia.com .
Hi MRT, Raptor appears to be made by Gilmore, see:
http://www.glacieraudio.com/new%20Glacier%20Audio%20Site/Products%20folder/Gilmore/Gilmore-amps.htm
At $5K it appears to be a direct competitor to the NuForce monos and the JRDG 501. May I ask what you particularly enjoied about the Raptor, and where you prefered other amps. Do you happen to know how many hrs of operation the Raptor monos had on them? ICEpower amps are notorious bears to break in. Finally, does anyone know if they will be shown at RMAF?
i generally prefer tube amps with planar speakers.

my friend auditioned the nuforce 9 and the raptor. he bought the raptor amps. i have heard the nuforce at ces.
based upon my friend's advice--he is a reviewewr, i decided to audition the raptor.

it was obvious the basss response was benefitting from a 500 watt class d amp. there was greater extension, clarity and weight, than i experienced with the vtl deluxe 120, my reference tube amp. as expected, there seemed to be a bit more treble extension with this amp, compared to my tube amp.

i have about 20 hours of playing time. the designer alleges that a cintinuous signal of two hours is all that is necessary to render a reasonable assessment of the amp's capabilities. my friend disagrees. he suggests, well over 100 hours. in any case, i am pleased with what i hear, except for a bit of forwardness in the upper mid/lower treble. it is not too objectionable. considering that i enjoy listening to the magnepans with a solid state amp, after 10 hours of playing time, i would say the amp is worthy of audition by anyone seeking to purchase a non-tube amp.

there is a cable caveat here. i started with my reference ear to ear silver plated copper power cords and speaker cable. i heard the sound of silver and replaced them with element cable signature power cords and speaker cable. in addition,i removed the audience adept response 6 and replaced it with a ps audio ultimate outlet.

i would suggest copper cable interfacing this amp, before trying silver cable.

i think this is a very competently constructed product that won't disappoint. the amplifier has already been reviewed. i have no intention of reviewing it myself.

i hope this helps.