Agree or disagree with the following statement.

Trying to get some input on an issue that a few of us are debating.

Statement:

If you have never listened to any particular component, you can't have an opinion on how it sounds.

Answer:

I don't agree with that. Measurements provide a fairly good indication of how something will sound. That's the beauty of science -- it's not necessary to have first hand experience to make reasonable judgments. You likely disagree and that could be a difference in our background and education."

So, the issue at hand is, can tell how a component sounds without listening to it, and just go on specs? Or, do you have to listen to it, as well, because the specs don't tell the whole story?
zd542
I should have said practically unheard of. Also, it came out before 1993. Some time in the late 80's, although I don't remember the exact year.
There was another clock prior to the Clever Little one?

Does not seem as clever to me anymore.
I made no comments regarding "extra circuitry," but imagining I did could be symptomatic of some people's propensity to accept Imaginary Quasi Holistic Audio Bullshit Tweaks, know as "ICKBUTT." I will readily enjoy things I think work, but if I encounter things that don't work at all or seem to be the equivalent of snake oil, I'll continue to be astonished and snicker to myself (and others) in a haze of Luddite-esque self satisfaction. By the way, I have found that actual Snake Oil does work to enhance soundstaging and coherence when sprayed in a fine mist on YOUR MAMA.
From 1 brand to another, you can find an amp, preamp, speaker etc, that spec very close or in the electronic side, even identical.
I suspect, everyone listed above on this thread would hear the difference between the 2 amps, pre amps or speakers.
Based on that, I disagree with the blanket statement.
However, specs do contribute how amps sound and many could take 2 very differently spec'd amps (or circuit layout for that matter) and tell you how they in general would differ by what they see on paper.
I think I better change my statement before I start a riot. The Tice Clock was a clock. It did tell time, so I guess we can leave it a that. Tice also made line conditioners, in addition to clocks. Tice's line conditioners were not clocks, and therefore did not tell time. But they did condition the AC in some manner.

I do have one more question because I'm a little confused. I'm looking at my computer, and I noticed it shows what time it is in one of the corners. So the question is, do I have a computer or do I have a clock? If its just a clock, I'll be pissed because its way over priced compared to other clocks. And if it turns out to be a computer, I'm still upset because I now have to go out and buy a new clock. It seems like I just can't win here.