Agree or disagree with the following statement.

Trying to get some input on an issue that a few of us are debating.

Statement:

If you have never listened to any particular component, you can't have an opinion on how it sounds.

Answer:

I don't agree with that. Measurements provide a fairly good indication of how something will sound. That's the beauty of science -- it's not necessary to have first hand experience to make reasonable judgments. You likely disagree and that could be a difference in our background and education."

So, the issue at hand is, can tell how a component sounds without listening to it, and just go on specs? Or, do you have to listen to it, as well, because the specs don't tell the whole story?
zd542
There was another clock prior to the Clever Little one?

Does not seem as clever to me anymore.
I made no comments regarding "extra circuitry," but imagining I did could be symptomatic of some people's propensity to accept Imaginary Quasi Holistic Audio Bullshit Tweaks, know as "ICKBUTT." I will readily enjoy things I think work, but if I encounter things that don't work at all or seem to be the equivalent of snake oil, I'll continue to be astonished and snicker to myself (and others) in a haze of Luddite-esque self satisfaction. By the way, I have found that actual Snake Oil does work to enhance soundstaging and coherence when sprayed in a fine mist on YOUR MAMA.
From 1 brand to another, you can find an amp, preamp, speaker etc, that spec very close or in the electronic side, even identical.
I suspect, everyone listed above on this thread would hear the difference between the 2 amps, pre amps or speakers.
Based on that, I disagree with the blanket statement.
However, specs do contribute how amps sound and many could take 2 very differently spec'd amps (or circuit layout for that matter) and tell you how they in general would differ by what they see on paper.
I think I better change my statement before I start a riot. The Tice Clock was a clock. It did tell time, so I guess we can leave it a that. Tice also made line conditioners, in addition to clocks. Tice's line conditioners were not clocks, and therefore did not tell time. But they did condition the AC in some manner.

I do have one more question because I'm a little confused. I'm looking at my computer, and I noticed it shows what time it is in one of the corners. So the question is, do I have a computer or do I have a clock? If its just a clock, I'll be pissed because its way over priced compared to other clocks. And if it turns out to be a computer, I'm still upset because I now have to go out and buy a new clock. It seems like I just can't win here.
Mapman, you know I hate to brag but what makes the Clever Little Clock so clever is that it doesn't even have to be plugged into the wall outlet. It's battery powered. It also has nothing to do with what you think it does, e.g. Power lines or even the audio signal anywhere in the system.